1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed mud gards today !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wtfjr, Oct 13, 2007.

1. wtfjr

wtfjr New Member

Hi All
    Just wanted to say that after having the front & rear mud guards on the work bench in the garage for over a year, I finally got around to doing this job.
    I used the instructions, pictures & written instructions, that I printed from this site over one year ago.
    I think that I had expected it to be a big deal to do but it was a piece of cake !
    Just wanted to say to anyone here in the same position, that go ahead & do it as it was a real no brainer ! I even went out & purchased two additional screws as the lower inside of the rears looked like it needed another screw.
    The worst part of the job was breaking lose the lug nuts on the rears. They were so tight that they were about wrung off.
    Later all.
    Bill in FL

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're going to love them. The bottoms behind the tires are going to be so much cleaner now.

3. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What do mudguards do for the car other than keep your car cleaner? I wonder if mudguards would encourage more moisture and dirt to accumulate in the wheel wells?

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No I don't believe they would, infact there is a chance they will reduce the amount of dirt that accumulates inside the fenders as the front mudflaps reinforce the inner guard against the fender. I haven't noticed any FE hit so I think they are all good provided you like the look. I think the look is fine, not racy not old man but middle of the road, OK.
    Mine have been on the car a few months and I can see where some people see a need to add an extra screw however I have no screw and feel it really isn't needed. However it can't hurt so if you have yours to fit, go with or without the extra screw, personal choice.

5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Factory flaps will not be a dirt trap. I expect aftermarket ones would.

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Got my mud flaps installed today... the friend that did it decided that the rears really DO need a 4th screw... so, he installed those.

Looks great! Mud flaps, the BT Plate, and the little bell, all installed today :)

7. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have pics?

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 14 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]525663[/snapback]</div>
    [​IMG]

9. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Oct 13 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]525352[/snapback]</div>
    Probably nothing--but I think that keeping the car cleaner is what they are supposed to to. On the other hand, truck mudflaps are there primarily to prevent debris damage to other vehicles, not to keep the truck clean; fenders serve that purpose on a passenger car.

In the rain and snow where a car gets filthy allover, mudflaps don't provide much meaningful benefit. But, in a mostly dry climate (e.g. think Southern California and most of the Southwest or anywhere with a dry season) they do a remarkably good job of keeping gutter and puddle splashes off the quarter panels. I rank mudflaps near the top of must have accessories. I do not understand why they are standard in Canada and not normally available from dealers in the US.

11. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Oct 13 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]525352[/snapback]</div>
    Probably nothing--but I think that keeping the car cleaner is what they are suposed to to. On the other hand, truck mudflaps are there primarily to prevent debre damage to other vehiciles, not to keep the truck clean; fenders serve that purpose on a passenger car.

In the rain and snow where a car gets filthy all over mudflaps don't provide much meaningful benefit. But, in a mostly dry climite (e.g. think Southern California and most of the Southwest or anywhere with a dry season) they do a remarkably good job of keeping gutter and puddle splashes off the quarter panels. I rank mudflaps near the top of must have accessories. I do not understand why they are standard in Canada and not normally available from dealers in the US.

12. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hschuck @ Oct 14 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]525722[/snapback]</div>
    I put them on my 2008 as soon as I got it. They keep road tar and oil off the car, they keep debris from chipping the paint, they keep the mud splatter at a minimum, and they prevent my decal job from getting dinged up. :) They look sharp, too, IMHO.