1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed new LED headlights.. Could they melt my headlamp housing?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Alejandro Reyes, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Alejandro Reyes

Alejandro Reyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently replaced my headlamps because I wanted new clear ones. When I took them out, I noticed the entrance to where the low beam lights go had melted on one side. I had recently replace my bulbs with LED lights so i'm afraid that my LED bulbs are melting the housing and are going to do the same to my new headlamps. Should I replace my bulbs? Are they defective?

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LED headlights run hot and need a heat sink. If you bought aftermarket ones with no heat sink, that could cause the melting of the plastic.

3. Alejandro Reyes

Alejandro Reyes New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    LED's have fanless heatsink, but I they were crooked when I first installed them. So likely the heat rubbed against the plastic and melted it. As of now with my new headlamps and CORRECTLY installed LED's, I have no problem so far.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You were able to mount bulbs into that melted headlight housing mount?

Are you sure the bulb sits at the proper angle? That doesn't look like it it would hold the base securely and at the right angle.

You might be driving around with a headlight that is blinding other drivers with glare/stray light.

Edit: NVM, I reread the original post and if I am understanding it correctly, you bought new headlight housings already and the melted one is on the old, original headlight housing.

The heat from your LED lights shouldn't be a problem if properly installed. I had 65w H9 bulbs mounted in both our Prius and Camry for over a year and had no problems with melting. The stock H11 bulbs were 55w bulbs.

There are posts all the time when people don't install bulbs correctly and they melt the mounting area like yours.
    Always check the beam pattern of each headlight after installing bulbs. Incorrectly installed bulbs will exhibit a terrible beam pattern.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#4 xliderider, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, after the H9 bulbs I switched both cars to HIDs, also known to give off quite a bit of heat. No problems, and it's been years.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.