1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed Pioneer AVH-280, wired resistor and steering wheel controls, but MFD is not functional

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tols-Toy, May 8, 2016.

1. Tols-Toy

Tols-Toy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, my step-daughter has inherited my longtime car, a 2005 Prius. In an effort to make everything safer for her, my father in law and I installed a Pioneer AVH-280 double din stereo with bluetooth functionality (and a backup cam).

I picked up all the accessories and we followed all the instructions, including wiring the resistor between the white and pink wires on pins 9 & 10 according to the Metra 95-82408 instructions. However, once we plugged everything in and started the car and the orange triangle turned off, the MFD still was not communicating drive info and climate controls information.

From what I've read, this is typically the case when you do not install the resistor, but as we did, I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Steering wheel controls do allow for the control of the A/C unit still, and the steering wheel interface that I picked up allows the radio controls to function properly with the new stereo, so it's really *just* the MFD that I'm having a problem with currently.

I can provide any additional information if anyone needs it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Metra 95-8240B is the mechanical install kit. Which wire harness did you use to adapt the Pioneer plugs to the Toyota wiring plugs?

3. Tols-Toy

Tols-Toy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My apologies, it was a B, not an 8.

The wiring harness I picked up was the Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker and the steering wheel control interface was the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface.

4. Marrico

Marrico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am having trouble understanding the ASWC1 connecting to the pruis harness 6 red/ground to head unit black gnd, 7 black/SW1to brown key 2 , 8 white/SW2 to pink key 1.

And the head unit? My pruis harness doesn't have the wires in the same location?
    Or should I just match up the colors?
    Which of the four white wires goes to pink wire for the resistor?"

Attached Files:

5. Marrico

Marrico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am having trouble understanding the ASWC1 connecting to the pruis harness 6 red/ground to head unit black gnd, 7 black/SW1to brown key 2 , 8 white/SW2 to pink key 1.

And the head unit? My pruis harness doesn't have the wires in the same location?
    Or should I just match up the colors?
    Which of the four white wires goes to pink wire for the resistor?"

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    do you have the JBL?