1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installed TOM'S front end bars. WOW!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Dr Rocket, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

what a difference. My Prius tracks like never before. Like Vijay said, the biggest difference was putting the bottom one on.

The top strut bar was easy when I followed Vijay's instructions. I noticed some slight improvement.

We couldn't move the bolts on the bottom so I took the car and bar to Toyota of Carson where I purchased the TOM's products. They put it on for $42.50. They said it needed about 80 ft lbs of torque which I couldn't do with hand tools.

I could tell the difference immediately at 5 mph in the parking lot. I could track around curves very very well. I highly recommend this modification at $250 per bar for a total of $500. I can do curves at twice the recommended speed easily and no stress.

I do not have the BT stiffening plate yet. I might give it a shot if I can figure out the silly purchasing method that doesn't use credit cards. Arrrrrrrrrrgh.

2. dpower

dpower Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not have the BT stiffening plate yet. I might give it a shot if I can figure out the silly purchasing method that doesn't use credit cards. Arrrrrrrrrrgh.
    [/quote]

If you like what the TOM's does for the front end you might consider the TOM's rear stabilizer brace. I did like the BT but found that the Toms rear brace made an even bigger difference than the front brace. It replaces the same brace as the BT unit does but is a lot more extensive and more expensive as well.
    I do have a slightly used BT brace on my parts shelf that my TOM's rear brace displaced (say that 3 times fast)
    if any one is interested, it doesn't look like I'll be needing it anymore, so its looking for a good home.

David

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dpower @ Nov 30 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]356102[/snapback]</div>
    Makes me wonder if TOM will make some cross-braces that goes in the rear-seat/hatch area to stiffen things more. Too serious? :)

I also wonder, with the Prius's short front end, is the top cross-bar really necessary? It would make sense in a vehicle with a long engine bay, but the Prius doesn't have that.

4. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Nov 30 2006, 09:52 PM) [snapback]356107[/snapback]</div>
    I also wonder if TOM'S is ever going to make a brace for the hatch area. But, the only places I can see it installed is the rear seat belt loop on the rear pillars, which would make it an eye sore, or the rear shock towers but, that would mean we would have to cut a hole. We'll just have to wait and see what else TOM'S has in store for the Prius.

The theroy on the TOM'S Front Upper Stablizer, is that when you take a corner at minimal/high speeds your car flexes. More so in high speeds, and the TOM'S bar helps minimize the body flex in the front end.

I've noticed a dramatic difference with all the TOM'S braces i've installed. The car is definatley a lot stiffer and handles way better. Last mod to do is the Sportivo Suspension.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sent Brian a check. What's the problem?
    _H*

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Dec 1 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]356446[/snapback]</div>
    My guess: Sending a check. I don't even know if I still have a checkbook. I haven't written a check in about two years.

7. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Dec 1 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]356468[/snapback]</div>
    whats all that mean?? <_< , ya send cash?

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Dec 2 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]356875[/snapback]</div>
    Everything I do is online. All bills paid directly from my checking account (misnamed?) or credit card. For personal transactions, I use Paypal. Cash? What's that? That dirty green stuff? Ick.

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To each his own. Cash still works fine for me.