1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a Remote Start on Gen 1 Prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Wolfcub, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I posted this in the Gen 1 Prius forum but I'm not sure how many people actually look at that one. So I'm going to try posting it here to see if I get more thoughts on it.

I have a 2002 Prius that the only thing that would make it better is to be able to start it from inside my house on those very cold and icey days, so that it can warm up and defrost some before I go out to start scraping.

I have a Bulldog brand remote start system that I'm hoping to put on it. I've had Bulldog brand in 2 other vehicles and it worked great on both. I also have a very trusted mechanic, my dad, to do the install for me. He does all of the work I need out of his repair shop.

Bob Wilson (Thanks for the suggestion!) did suggest a block heater in my original post of this, but I don't think that would do the job that I'm looking for. I know that the block heater would warm the engine, but from what I understand of it, it wouldn't help to defrost the windows under the half inch of ice.

My plan is to install the remote start so that I can start the car about 10 minutes before I go out so that it can defrost some and make scraping the ice SO much easier. As it is now I go out, start the car and take at least 10 minutes, sometimes more, trying to scrape the ice.

Anyone have experience installing remote starters on a Gen 1 Prius? Anything I need to watch out for or any particular instructions I need to give my mechanic? Also, my mechanic said the wiring harness is not meant for installing the remote starter, but that he can go around that without issues. Any ideas on how to go around the wiring harness or is it really okay to just hook into it anyway?

Thanks for the help!!

2. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Pics of my Prius under almost an inch of ice and almost 6 inches of snow = why I want a remote start

Attached Files:

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yep that's a lot of ice. I think you haven't received any responses because nobody here has done this before. If your installer has put the bulldog in other vehicles with RFID keys then they ought to be aware of any pitfalls or limitations. Hope you'll post more about it afterwards.

4. Moxie Floxacin

Moxie Floxacin New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Hi!

I'd love to know what you ended up doing! I'm moving back to the Northeast in a few months, and am considering both a remote start, and seat warmers =)

Just because I drive a prius doesn't mean I can't trick it out! (Also, the warranty on my darling 2001 expired long ago).

How did it work out?