1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing a Remote Starter on a 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Wolfcub, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 Prius that I absolutely love. The only thing that would make it better would be a remote starter to use for those really cold mornings when there's so much ice on the window or when the little turtle light is going to come on.

I've read on here where others have put remote starters on the newer priuses but nothing on the Gen 1's. Anyone have any experience with putting remote starters on the Gen 1 Prius? I have a very trusted mechanic willing to do it for me, I just want to make sure that It's actually going to work right and not mess up anything.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have a 'remote starter kit' you are planning to install?

Personally, I think it makes more sense to install a block heater than a remote starter. In one hour, a block heater will increase the temperature by 25C (45F.)

Bob Wilson

3. Wolfcub

Wolfcub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a brand new Bulldog remote start system that I was hoping to put into it. I've had Bulldog brand in 2 other vehicles and never had any issues.

The block heater would work to warm the engine and to keep the turtle light from coming on as much but it would not help so much with the defrosting of my windows when it's below zero and there's half an inch of ice on them. Even now I have to go outside to start it and let it run for about 10 minutes before I even attempt to scrape the ice, or just spend 10 minutes trying to scrape the solid wall of ice off my windows anyway. The only difference with a remote start would be I wouldn't have to go outside to start it, only when I'm ready to go out and scrape the ice and leave, saving me the extra trouble.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with putting them in a Gen 1 and if there's anything I need to be careful of or certain precautions I need to take.