1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing A Second Traction Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FarTraveler, Oct 21, 2023.

1. FarTraveler

FarTraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    The Prius prime is a plug in hybrid which means you can plug it in and charge the traction battery and that way you can drive it just like an EV car for a certain distance before you use up the charge in the traction battery and have to convert to HV mode where you use both gas and electricity. Anyway, I was wondering about the possibility of installing a second traction battery for the main purpose of extending the range you can drive in EV mode.

With my new Prius Prime I can drive for about 40 miles in EV mode with a fully charged traction battery. With a second traction battery Im thinking I could get 80 miles in EV mode and not have to use any gas for that range. With gas prices as they are I would really save on gas so Im thinking about the possibilities of installing a second traction battery and if it can be done.

2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Intriguing. I'm wondering where would you put the second traction battery? My guess is the cost benefit analysis would not come close to working out.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What sort of “second traction battery”, same size, theoretically doubling range? Would the car’s computers recognize it, or? Down the road, assuming this battery addition eats up cabin space, how would this impact value, for trade-in or sale?

talk yourself off this ledge? Pricing an extra plug-in battery might help with that. If you can find it for sale.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The part itself is very expensive, and it would take a lot of smart and careful hacking to find a way to install it and use it. Nice-sounding features like automatic switchover may not be possible.

If you're already into customizing cars and working with high voltage electricity, you might get somewhere with this.

But most people would find it cheaper and easier to keep a second Prius Prime charged up at the halfway point. Or just trade for an EV with more range to begin with.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll be following the progress! (y)