1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing aftermarket accessories on LE/SE

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Maxwell61, May 30, 2023.

1. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just ordered a Prius Plug-in base model with 17", loosely corresponding to US Prime SE, because the Eu base version have a lot more features and accessories than the US counterpart.

Nonetheless, is lacking some feature of the better equipped versions that i would appreciate to have, in particular the digital mirror and the electrification of the trunk and what else is easily possible to fit.

This is because i wanted the 17" and in my country is expensive and difficult to change wheels size and a re-homologation is required.

Have someone with LE/SE the same interest and already looked if the wiring exists to retrofit Toyota OEM parts as the digital mirror or electric trunk or else?

#1 Maxwell61, May 30, 2023
    Last edited: May 30, 2023
    2023p likes this.
  2. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, i didn't realized that an accessories thread has been made.
    Thanks to an admin to move the thread.

3. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Curious about the trunk too, or 3rd party. Even just to get it to open with the fob and not be electrical. If anyone achieves this or is super confident in a solution?

4. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Once autoparts.toyota.com is fully populated with the parts for the 23 Prius and Prime, I'll try to find an answer, but my experience in looking into upgrades for my older base-trim Prius suggests any upgrades like those will be massively cost prohibitive.

You might be able to do a non-OEM version of the digital mirror using OEM-quality parts for about $1000-$1500 USD. Toyota buys the mirror from a company named Gentex. You can buy almost the exact same mirror from them(or a retailer) for about $1000. The kit comes with a camera you glue to the inside of the back window. You could also try buying the OEM camera and mounting bezel and making your own OEM install. I'm guessing $500+ for those parts on top of the $1k for the mirror. You will almost certainly have to add wiring since I am extremely doubtful the SE has the same rear and roof wiring harnesses as the XSE/XSE+.

The powered lift gate and/or keyless back entry is going to be a non-starter. I'm going to spitball a bare minimum of $5000 USD worth of parts. I want to say the powered arms are $400 each just by themselves. The new wiring harness will be a thousand or two. I'm betting at least one ECU will have to be replaced. The keyless entry will cost at least $500 in parts just at the lock. And then there will be hundreds of dollars worth of little differences; brackets, fasteners, covers and bezels. Anything is doable if you're willing to spend enough, but I doubt you'll think it's worth whatever the total cost is. And none of that covered labor. If you're not doing it yourself, add another thousand or two as most of the interior would have to be pulled out(except probably the front seats).

otatrant, Maxwell61 and 2023p like this.
  5. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    How about just a button on the inside of the car to open trunk?

6. Hammersmith

Hammersmith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Maybe. You could probably rig something up. You'd have to run some wiring from the button to the latch since there wouldn't be anything existing in the front of the car to tap into. What you'd need to do is tap into the wires running from the door switch in the hatch to the door lock actuator. Then run that tap forward to the dash.

This gets into the realm of jury-rigging, and I try to go exclusively OEM with my mods. So this isn't an area I'm all that knowledgeable about. But I think I can get access to the wiring diagram if anyone wants to try to figure it out.

2023p likes this.
  7. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    For a power lift gate, Autoease should have one for the Gen5 Prius' in the near future.
    Code:
    https://www.autoease.com/product/liftgate/

Pics:
    https://www.autoease.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/liftgatePhotos.jpg

https://www.autoease.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/tl105-parts.jpg

https://www.autoease.com/product/liftgate/

Power Liftgate Retrofit
    $699.00
    This retrofit power tailgate lift assisting system opens and closes your rear door by simply pressing a button. It provides additional security and value to your vehicle. Installation is designed for the do-it-yourself and comes with various brackets depending on your car.

Category: Power Liftgate
    Tags: aftermarket, autoease, boot, electric, hatchdoor, liftgate, online, opener, power, shop, tailgate, tl105

What's included
    Description
    The New Generation power lift gate opener which has more features.
    Support original remote to open/close gate.
    Support front/rear button to open/close gate.
    Support foot(boot) kick sensor addon.
    Still support manually open/close the gate.
    Customizable gate height, suits to everyone.
    Gate will bounce back automatically once it senses obstacles while closing.
    Sound alarm when tailgate is closing or opening.
    Quiet motor, noise less than 50dB in 30cm distance.
    Work in all weather conditions, operation temperature -30 ℃~65℃.
    Picture for reference only, products vary per different cars.

https://www.autoease.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/liftgatePhotos.jpg

https://www.autoease.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/tl105-parts.jpg

I have their kit for my Gen4 Prime. I haven't had the time to install it yet.

Good Luck!

Maxwell61 and 2023p like this.
  8. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I really appreciate your responses. Keeping it OEM definitely sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't be able to understand or utilize the diagram myself. Also would be more comfortable to consider if/when someone else dives in with success. Really enjoying the car.

9. 2023p

2023p Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    This definitely looks interesting. Curious how it works out when you do end up installing it!

10. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thans man, i see there's quite a few retrofit kit producer, it should'nt be so expensive or difficult, depending on the installation cost. Perhaps going for the OEM isn't a good idea.

Also, there should be some rear camera mirror not to difficult to install, i'll be searching for.

I'm being very lucky cause the EU base trim corresponding to the SE have already full keyless, 12,4" screen, full Adas, electric 8-ways seats and more, so there's very few things to look for.

I'm a bit annoyed for the lack of the light bar at the trunk (not fundamental), but to install the led one you should also change the whole light assembly, because the light bar is transparent and not red as in the base model..

11. Maxwell61

Maxwell61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have a link to a catalog part for the 2023 (w/ Prime possibly)?

12. Argyros

Argyros Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I want one!