1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing an option stereo into a base '08?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dngrsone, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a base model '08 Prius, but I want the stereo that has an aux input and reads .wma and .mp3 files.

So my idea is to get one of the upgrade stereos and install it, manufacturing my own wiring as necessary.

Does this sound like a doable idea, or is there some aftermarket system that will interface directly with the stock stereo?

If doable, is there a model number or something that I can google or search for on eBay? I'm sure there are people out there who bought packages and then took their old systems out.

2. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For completeness' sake, it might be best to put an aftermarket head unit in where the pocket is below the MFD. If you could put in some kind of interrupt/bypass to the speaker wiring, that might serve your purpose pretty well.

3. Dngrsone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is an idea... I even have a cheap aftermarket machine in my garage... output switching to the speakers would not be difficult.

What about the DICE unit... what would that do for me?

4. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Provided you have the AVC-LAN input on the radio, that'd give you the ability to play an iPod or listen to HD radio...

It really depends on what you wanna get out of the new system as to what direction to take. A new head unit would give you the ability to go in almost any direction with your audio/video needs.

A slick mod that I was considering was a slide-out, flip-up display mounted where the pocket is. In your case, you could put in an aftermarket navigation system which would allow you to watch DVDs, plug in an iPod (provided it's capable), listen to HD radio (again, provided it's capable), and do all sorts of fun audio-video stuff.

5. Dngrsone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Frankly, what I want to get out of the system is .mp3 and .wma capability. If I could install an auxiliary plug to the installed system so I could play them from my PDA, I would, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

This Prius is largely a commuter vehicle; no passengers, no need for navigation, no need for DVD player.

Your secondary head idea has a lot of merit... I will have to look into that mod. Unless, and I'm just pulling things out of a hat, here, there's a way of tapping into the system with a carputer where I could store all my music at... :rolleyes:

6. mkiefer83

mkiefer83 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mmm... Carputer... Now you're talkin' :D

7. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried either a FM transmitter for the ipod/pda, or a FM modulator like we use for satellite radio? Might be a way simpler alternative.

Icarus

8. Dngrsone

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a portable FM transmitter, but I haven't tried it in the Prius yet. I modified the transmitter with an external, variable-length antenna for better reception in the previous Dngrcar (a Saturn), so it should work fine in the Prius, but it's a bit of a hack, don't you think?

I'm open to all suggestions, here, and I will be trying the FM transmitter out this weekend, for sure. [​IMG]

Hrm... a carputer is an expensive proposition, it seems-- there seem to be no cheap HVIF adapters for plugging into the MultiFunction Display, and I'm not sure what I would and wouldn't be able to do via the CAN with a CANUSB or CAN232 adapter (both somewhat expensive but a tenth of the price of the only HVIF adapter I've found). It may be something I will install eventually, anyway, since I would like to PHEV this bad boy in the future, but right now, it is out of budgetary consideration.