1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing armrests

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xraydog, Aug 24, 2023.

1. xraydog

xraydog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am going to try installing arm rests attached to the seats in my second gen prius. Does anyone have any pictures of what the inside frame of the front seats look like? Or any tips on if anyone has done this before.

KIMISS Seat Handle, Car Seat Armrest Pivoting Adjustable 0‑120° Shock Absorption Universal Replacement for Iveco (Right)
    https://a.co/d/6S2Vbm8

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're going to have to fab a custom bracket to bolt to the two frame of the seat extend a little bit outward so that your arm rest here can mount to that bracket that you make passing bolts to the tube frame of the seat maybe limiting I don't know if their options where you can grab around the tubing I haven't seen one of these seats apart in a long time but I was about to take one apart soon just to have a look for some recovering options.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    When I take the seat apart I hope soon I will take pictures and let you know where they are and you can get them and have a look I have an awfully funny feeling that your arm rest are going to be in the way of your door arm rest and the center console? Are you removing the center console? I just don't see I mean I guess you could put these up higher maybe you're really tall or a long torso so your armrests are going to be above the console and above the door armrest and that would be a really big person I would think anyway yeah should be an interesting thing to try I guess.

4. xraydog

xraydog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I am removing the center console. No I am not placing these on the door side. Only the center. Pictures would be amazing.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No problem then you'll have no issues probably other than getting the extension from the seat frame to where you're going to mount the armrest how long is your arm rest I see the pictures but I you know so you got to hold that armrest to about the center of the upholstery on the side of the seat if you squeeze hard enough you can feel the framing of the seat The bolsters and all that foam on the edge of the seat if you squeeze enough you'll get down to metal so you have to hold that to that area those two holes of the bracket that are on those armrest with the armrest folded down like it's going to be mounted and then look at that and see if that's going to be good enough or whether your bracket is going to have to come off the seat frame go towards the front of the car and inch or two and then you mount the armrest on that to have it be the proper length from the seat folded down for your arm to be comfortably on and not too much out of place if you will.

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the center console is coming out might it not be easier to just put a padded surface (similar to a padded chair seat == board + foam rubber + fabric) into that position at the right height, and bolted to the cabin floor (somehow)? If the top lid comes off the console this sort of gizmo could probably be built into the remaining cavity, maybe held in place with some screws.