1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing bumper protector

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by trenapt, Oct 28, 2005.

1. trenapt

trenapt New Member

I received my rear bumper protector applique. I plan to install it myself. I have put on window tint in past years without difficulty and with good results, so why not? :)

The instructions call for cleaning off dirt and wax with 3M solvent 70. I already have Klasse AIO & SG sealant on the car (only the 2 layers so far). Is there something else I can use to get it off thoroughly? Or can I find a small container of this solvent at a hardware store?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    basically what they want is something that will leave no residue behind- so something that's volatile enough to evaporate immediately.

i imagine you could go to a hardware store or home depot or whereever and pick something up that will do the trick. it's just to make sure the adhesive doesn't get any crud on it when sticking to the car :)

3. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I have searched high and low for 3M Prep Solvent-70, now including the internet. I find no place I can buy this stuff, outside of maybe getting 4 huge jugs in a box (enough to cover every car in the state?). Has anyone located this stuff?

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just use any bug/tar remover from the auto store. That will get any wax or sealant off. I'd follow up with rubbing alcohol to make sure you get off whatever was in the cleaner. Wipe dry... then warm the protector and the bumper... when everything is warm and dry, slap it on there (straight!). Follow up with waxing everything around the area that you initially cleaned off.

This should be WAY easier than tinting!

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    About to be new owner here.

I see two different types of bumper protectors. The clear "sticker" type - around $45...and a black rubber type - around $20.

Any recommendations either way?

Thanks!

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    IMHO the black one is better. it's tougher so if you happen to drop a suitcase while pulling it out of the hatch you're not going to puncture the protector and get the paint. i've put some serious gouges in that big plastic thing, i can't imagine what it would have done to that sticker. or the paint for that matter.

the extra money does go toward better protection...

7. Dripps

Dripps New Member

I expected to get the black rubber model but I wasn't paying attention when I ordered the "bumper protector" and purchased a clear decal type protector. I would rather have the black rubber model. But I don't understand why the decal version is more expensive! :blink:

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the decal is MORE expensive??

we paid like $35 for our rubber one... at dealer employee discount.

weird.

9. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Yes, I have seen the black ones for as low as $19.99 on the web

Thanks for the help! :D

10. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

THIS is why i LOVE priuschat! [​IMG]

i have the gorgeous prism prius bumper protector..... but can't find the 3M prep solvent anywhere...... THANK YOU priuschat!

(and the prism one is WAY "better" than the black one!!!!!)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 1 2006, 11:12 PM) [snapback]202405[/snapback]</div>
    so put my pretty protector on... then immediately do the "zaino thing"? and do i put the zaino ON the sticker?

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 2 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]202975[/snapback]</div>
    The decal is more expensive and apparantly a PITA to apply--and they charge at least 4 hours labor. My dealer ruined one (or it was defective). I expected it to be somewhat obnoxious but one really doesn't notice he pattern. The rubber one looks OK as well. From a durability point of view I would have gone with the rubber if I had known about it before I bought the decal.

12. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Feb 2 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]202975[/snapback]</div>
    The dealer quoted about $66.00 for the clear decal, of course I didn't get it. I've seen the rubber ones on e-bay for about $35.00 plus shipping. This is a Toyota item, I think there are cheaper generics. True Value has a solvent cleaner called "Oops!". It works well.

13. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

UH OH..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

how do i SAFELY remove my decal...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 8 2007, 09:06 AM) [snapback]457976[/snapback]</div>
    Based on my experience at the dealer I don't think you can.

15. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I installed the rear bumper decal (protector) the 2nd week after I got my car. I bought it at the dealership. They discounted it to $55 because the parts guy said they weren't very popular and they recommended that I have a body shop install it. However, I'm too cheap, so I installed it myself.

I also looked for the 3m Prep Solvent 70 and didn't find any online or in any auto parts store. I then went to a store that specializes in auto body supplies. They didn't have it, but at least they knew what I was asking for. The guy at the store recommended a product called Marine Clean:

http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1260/.f

I was able to buy a 16oz bottle for about $7. It is a water based degreaser similar to the 3m product according to the guy at the store.

I diluted with water 5:1 and it worked well .

I followed the Toyota instructions including heating the surface with a heat gun. I also had a non-contact IR temp reader so I could make sure the temp of the surface was as specified. I floated it with soapy water and squeeged it out. I did an ok job, but did end up with one small air bubble.

Approx 2 mos later, I was rear ended and the bumper was damaged. The body shop had to remove my decal to repaint the bumper and then they installed a new one. They charged an extra $110 just for matl and labor for the decal. They did not do as good on the install; they left two larger air bubbles in the same general area where I had one.

I think the easiest way to remove the decal is to heat it with a heat gun to soften the adhesive, then peel it back. You have to be careful not to overheat the bumper to avoid damage to the bumper or paint or both.

16. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

i did fine as far as bubbles... that part of the install was fine.... where i screwed up was the alignment.... it's too far "back" on the bumper.... i don't have the overhang... so the "printed" part isn't where it's supposed to be.... UGH!

17. blzlovr

blzlovr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered the Matrix rubber bumper protector on-line and the instructions said to use 3m Prep Solvent 70. I couldn't find any except on eBay and one other on-line site for a case of it. I ended up putting it on without it. I read some fine print at 3M's website about certain states not allowing the solvent to be sold becasue of some environmental laws.

Sherril