1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing deer whistles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by the fish, Mar 1, 2006.

1. the fish

the fish Member

Last spring, I hit a deer in my old Accord. Two weeks after the hood was fixed, my wife hit another one with the same car.

Since then, I have put deer whistles on our cars. Can't say they work but I'll take any help I can get.

I tried to install some on the Prius but there is no good place to put them. The slits at the bottom of the front bumper are too close together to fit a whistle in. Perhaps I will have to cut one down to size.

Any one put these on a Prius?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I grew up in Southern Indiana, went to college at IU and spent qquite a bit of time in Brown County. Some speculate that there are more White Tailed Deer in Brown County than humans. There are certainly ALOT of deer. With a population like that, you see the deer whistles everywhere.

I've heard people say that they work and others say that they're a gimic. I've had people say that they have them on their car and they've actually seen deer turn and run away as they drove up to them. I've seen that behavior also but I don't have the whistles.

I've also had friends with whistles hit deer head on. Maybe they were going to fast for the whistle. Or perhaps too slow. Or perhaps they didn't install them at proper distances from each other and the sides of the car.

Sorry, you didn't ask about the validity of the whistles. The only place I can think to install the whistles would be upside down on either side of the fog lights or where the fog lights would be:
    [​IMG]
    Image credit to Joe.

Maybe they would even blend in there with the black background. Good luck.

3. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I put them on mine ...on the front liscence plate holder...which sticks out about 1.5 inches just enough to hold them....
    darwin
    high in the hills of oakland ca

4. bnlfanmatt

bnlfanmatt Member

I put deer whistles in my old car. In the week they were on, didn't hit a deer. Of course, in the 7+ years I've been driving, haven't hit one either. So it's hard to tell, my only qualm was someone broke them off after a week or they fell off, which led me not to replace them.

5. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have wondered about them too. Kinda of like you said about the deer, put them on your car, and you probably won't hit any elephants or giraffs either.

6. the fish

the fish Member

I don't have the foglamps; so I could try to remove the panels were the foglights go and install them back with the whistles in them. I will have to look around for some foglamp installation instructions. If that doesn't work, I can probably cut them off their stands and insert with double-sided tape between the slits.

7. goodsam

goodsam New Member

I had them on my Accord. Just my luck, I hit a deaf deer.

Seriously...I hit a deer with the whistles...no way I was going too fast.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :mellow: Some of my family live in the Texas "Hill Country" with a considerable white-tailed deer population. They all believe in the whistles and none have had a deer incident since installing the whistles.

What I've always wondered is why there's not an enterprising inventor who patents a "powered" deer whistle so that MPH is not necessary to produce the sound.

Hmmm... maybe I'd better invent that along with the "Hand-tied/Clip-on" bowtie for tuxedo use. Perhaps I'd get wealthy. :D :D

10. wallybrown

wallybrown New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the fish @ Mar 1 2006, 08:32 PM) [snapback]218808[/snapback]</div>
    I have lived in a rural area of Maryland for over 37 years. We have always used deer whistles and are convinced that they work. We have seen deer, at a full run, coming toward our car; yet, they turn and retreat when they approach. We have never even come close to hitting one. WE BELIEVE!

Aynway, we just installed whistles on our new 2006 Prius. Our method is as follows: We could not use the mounting base. We turned the whistle tube sideways and placed 5-minute epoxy on the top and bottom of the tube. Then guided the tube between the slats in the lower front of the grill. They seem to be working fine.

I had tried mounting in several areas of the car. Under the front bumper and the first curb took them off. Next, around the side mirrors; however, the noise was intolerable. Third, on the side of the car itself with the same results. Finally, we threw away the bases and used the above solution.

I hope that it works for others.

11. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I mounted them on the horizontal black plastic panel under the front bumper.

However, this year I hit a deer. I've also noticed that when I drive past a deer grazing by the side of the road, they don't even lift their heads to look.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goodsam @ Mar 1 2006, 11:05 PM) [snapback]218897[/snapback]</div>
    And how the deer got whistles I'll never know. </Groucho>

13. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ Mar 1 2006, 06:45 PM) [snapback]218842[/snapback]</div>
    I'm originally from Indiana, too and my dad has always had them on his car. I inevitibly get a set of them for Christmas when I get a new car! I have also witnessed deer, who had their heads down grazing, look up when we went by with the whistles on. I have no idea if that is because of the whistles or they are just looking at cars. Knock on wood, neither my dad or I have hit a deer yet.

I also mounted mine on the license plate bracket and they broke/flew off. I suspect I'll be getting a new pair this Christmas

14. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    yeah - but don't forget that you are increasing the drag co-efficient - the cost of the extra gas used will have to be weighed against the cost of the deer whistles to see if you come out ahead in the deal.

;)

15. mootsman

mootsman New Member

I live in an area in the GA piedmont where there are more deer collisions than anywhere in the SE. Our local paper is currently running a poll on which is the worst road in our county. One deputy stated that he'd worked a 100 cases of deer collisions during his short tenure alone. Nobody that I know of thinks whistles are effective and, believe, me they have been discussed and tried around here for a couple of decades. My approach is to drive extremely carefully through the known bad sections with high beams and maintaining a constant lookout on the sides of the road for the reflection of their eyes. One spotted I slow down and watch them carefully to determine their movement. I realize that this works OK in my relatively rural area and would not be appropriate for high traffic areas. BTW, our paper had a photo today of a deer in the front seat of a car...came in via the windshield.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Snake oil, pure and simple. As stated above, they don't work, but they do make people feel better. There are too many variables with airflow and speed to ever have any sort of consistent operation. If they did work, a far better option would be an electrically powered ultrasonic device to emit at the desired frequency.

Tom

17. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you tried looking for some UV strobes to mount?

Check Wikipedia for deer vehicle collisions.

18. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got the answer! Why don't we petition this pathetic government to issue a billion dollar grant for the study of the effectiveness of plastic deer whistles!

19. Classic_pri

Classic_pri Former 2001 Prius 0wner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The whistles don't work, but your horn will. When you see one near the road (watch for their eyes reflecting your headlights at night) give them a blast. They will turn tail and run the other way.