1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Euro-version rear wiper

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mikepaul, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My new wiper arm arrived. Anyone know if a torque wrench (would need proper torque value) is important to install it correctly?...

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I dont think it needs a torque setting. I just made mine the same tightness as when it came off. Which for mine was about a few pounds of force if that.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, it went on rather easily, and the 20" blade seems to stay on the glass so no need to clip it any.

At least ONE of my upgrades worked out this year...

4. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Apr 12 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]238494[/snapback]</div>
    how did the 20" wiper work out I am haveing trouble finding one that fits the blades seem to be too slim for the arm.What kind of blade did you use ? I'm just not haveing any luck
    The service department said if I change the blade size I would burn out the motor. Help please

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    jan,

Mikepaul replaced the entire wiper arm assembly. You can see what he used at Sigma Automotive mid way down the page on the left sidebar. Look for JDM/Euro wiper arm. The stock Prius wiper arm can only use the stock Toyota refills.

Wayne

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jan 12 2007, 06:24 AM) [snapback]374621[/snapback]</div>
    So you get a new, more powerful (at least higher torque) motor with that $69 purchase?

That makes $69 sound more reasonable.

Dave M.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 12 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]374832[/snapback]</div>
    You get and arm and wiper. No motor.

8. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jan 12 2007, 09:24 AM) [snapback]374621[/snapback]</div>
    do you realy have to change the whole arm ??
    I did manage to get a 19 inch blade on with no problem I got a no metal wiper blade (they look like just the refill) it seems lite enough . works fine .

9. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jan @ Jan 12 2007, 10:29 PM) [snapback]375027[/snapback]</div>
    ok I just read through the whole post now just one question
    Why change the arm ?
    I did find blades that fit this standard toyota arm 19" & 20"
    I just need some clarification on why you would change the arm if you could find something that fit .
    thanks

10. Snagtooth

Snagtooth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Where did you find the 19"/20" blades that fit the existing rear arm? I have a 2008 that I would like to put a frameless type on if possible, but if not would like to at least upsize with the existing arm left intact. Does everything still look stock with your larger blade?

thx.

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've seen no ill effects from the new arm, so the motor-thing is a scare tactic to keep you buying the Toyota refills. I also haven't changed that blade since I got it, so maybe someday soon I should look at it even if it still works well...