1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installing front license plate bracket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by betshsu, Nov 7, 2004.

1. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those of you who had to install your own front license plate bracket, here's a rather elementary question, but I'm a bit nervous about drilling holes into my Prius...

Reading the pre-delivery service instructions, it seems to indicate that you are supposed to mark and drill holes into the bumper where the bolts that attach the license plate to the bracket might come into contact with the car (holes B). Then, you use the self-tapping screws to mount the bracket to the bumper (holes A, which are indicated by dimples in the bumper). So this would result in a total of 4 holes in the bumper. Is this right? Is it really necessary to mark and drill the first set of holes (holes B)?

Ack. Do not like the idea of drilling into my Prius.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i would simply use the holes that are already there. my Prius came with a front license plate bracket on it.

i will say one thing, it only had two screws just like the back plate bracket. of course the front plate doesnt have any place to bolt to on the bottom but its never been necessary in my experience to have 4 screws although this is the first car i can remember only have two screws.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

ah! Jinglish attacks again. There are only 2 holes to drill at the dimples. One for each dimple.

4. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know if it's a case of Jinglish. There are definitely the two holes for actually attaching the bracket to the bumper, one for each dimple. But the instructions also seem to say to drill two additional "relief" holes to "prevent the license plate retaining bolt end from contacting the cover" (the "cover" is the bumper as far as I can tell).

I don't know if dealerships who install the front bracket for you actually bother to drill these two additional relief holes and if they're necessary.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

The cover is the actual bumper cover, underneath that is an absorber "foam block"and it has cutouts where the liscence plate holder goes. So I dont' know about relief holes being needed.