1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installing ipod compatible stereo, buyer's remose

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adezj, Nov 20, 2007.

1. adezj

adezj New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just got a Prius last week. After researching all the options I'm getting close to putting in a ipod ready stereo. Bummed about making the audio screen and built in stereo defunct but the trade off is great ipod functionality compared to the ipod integration solution (which has lag time and due to the head unit limits on playlist/song capacity. The unit I'm thinking of is the Alpine iDA-X001. Anyone have any suggestions, comments, experience w/ this topic?

On the buyer's remorse side I'm wishing I plunked down the extra money for a package 6. Now, I feel compelled to "make it up" by getting an aftermarket nav system, bluetooth device for my phone and to get an alarm installed. It would have been better to have it all integrated but as I understand it that is not doable (except for the alarm, I can buy the module from Toyota and have it installed.. :(

thanks for reading my post!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My suggestion ... quickly trade your Prius in for what you really want. I have a freind who bought a 2007 hybrid Camry who really wanted a 2008 (not sure why) and he made the trade for $500.

3. adezj

adezj New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks firepa63 for your reply.

Following your suggestion I just got off the phone w/ the dealer, unfortunately I would lose about 4K. Not worth it. So now I can have fun buying and toying w/ all the aftermarket stuff. And, hopefully learn a lesson or two!

4. Scafremon

Scafremon Junior Member

You probably saved enough to upgrade to the features you want, and help pay for your new stereo! Granted, you will lose some features with aftermarket Nav/Bluetooth, but IMO not enough to justify the cost.

I'm very happy with my Garmin Nuvi660 on a beanbag mount. The portability is great (loaned it to a family member for a few days when they were going on a trip). The dangling power cord is a bummer, but the unit can run for 7 hours (it says) off internal battery, and I hope to soon have a very clean power cord option instalaltion.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why not just integrate an iPod into the factory system?

6. adezj

adezj New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scafremon @ Nov 20 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]542181[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Scafremon,

Ill check out the Nuvi660. Hoping to find an "in-dash" solution for the nav.

appreciate your feedback!

alex

7. adezj

adezj New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Nov 20 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]542183[/snapback]</div>

i understand that there are some functionality issues w/ doing so... have you integrated your Ipod? If so, how is that working for you?

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adezj @ Nov 20 2007, 05:42 PM) [snapback]542206[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not the best person to be asking since I actually work for DICE which is sold in the Priuschat shop - but I'll tell you this; you won't get the same level of interaction on a factory kit than you would on a nice aftermarket headunit, but for most people it's good enough. Take a look at the Audio/Video forum here to see pictures and discussions.

The advantages of a kit plugging into your factory radio is you don't lose anything.

9. adezj

adezj New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Nov 20 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]542218[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Vagabond. Just noticed that Costco is offering a DICE HD-radio/ipod integration unit. Does this presumably new technology offer any improved interface/funcionality w/ ipod (or is that limited due to head unit limitations?)