1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing navigation to a 07 prius: is it possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by 07TouringPrius, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 07TouringPrius

07TouringPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I’m trying to see if it is possible to install a navigation system which can be integrated into the vehicle using existing built in functions on the car, such as the “Map†button on the steering wheel as well as being able to view images on the display screen as opposed to viewing images on an external device (such as a Garmin) and having to stick it onto the windshield.

I currently own a 2007 Prius touring edition package #3. It comes with a built-in Bluetooth system and it seems like I have most of the components for a built in navigation system. In hindsight, I should have opted for the package #6 or #7 but what’s done is done.

The reason why I bring up this topic is because when I press my map button it says, “external system not connected.†So does that mean I can just simply buy a couple of parts and just “plug it in?†Most likely not, but I wanted to know my options. It also seems like a lot of ’01 prius owners have found a way to install a navi system onto their cars with no problems and at little cost to them.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For integrated Nav, it takes a whole new MFD and wiring. Then general consensus is that it is technically possible, but not practical. Your best bet is an after market Nav unit such as Garmin. Some PC members have used a screenless Garmin unit that feeds through the MFD, but this is a more expensive and difficult option than just buying a little stand alone unit.

Tom

3. 07TouringPrius

07TouringPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the reply.....
    i guess i have to deal with cords and suction cups, hiding when i park and setting it back up and.....sigh........

4. azzieo

azzieo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know that's not exactly what you were asking about but I installed a AVIC-F700BT in place of my factory raddio, and it worked out nicely... There's 2 touchscreens now, wheel controls work, audio is definitely better, BT goes through the speakers in the car, there's ipod, SD and USB that you can feed music from.. and the unit is highly hackable so there's people who constantly come up with new mods and fixes...

5. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wired my GPS into the map light power wires, and mounted it at the top of the windshield to the right of the mirror. This way there are no cords to hassle with, and it's not visible when parked like a dash mount.