1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing new 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by baker2gs, Jan 14, 2011.

1. baker2gs

baker2gs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to hook jumper cables to the front of the Prius and attached them to another car to save my settings or information instead of another 12v battery?

Or is this not safe or suggested? Just wondering because I'm about to get my Optima replacement battery any day now.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our last car I would hook up a trickle charger: positive charger lead clipped to battery positive cable. Negative charger lead to ground (car body or engine bare metal). This was a very low 0.5 amp motorcycle trickle charger, something you can pick up fairly cheap.

Disconnecting the battery, the memories were retained ok.

With the Prius battery in the hatch the circuit is a bit more "circuitous", but I think it would still work, ie: hook up trickle charger positive (red) lead to the red-capped positive jumper plate in fuse box, and negative (black) charger lead to ground. Doing this, I believe you still are supplying a light amount of charge, and memory will be maintained when you disconnect the 12 volt.

Always attach make the negative (black) connection to ground last, and disconnect it first.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you use a charger, you'll need to make sure it will continue to provide 12V to the car when the 12V battery is disconnected. Some chargers in the interest of safety will cut power if they detect no voltage or incorrect polarity from the 12V battery.

If you hook up jump cables to another car's 12V battery, be very aware that you must not short the positive terminal connector of the Prius' 12V battery to ground when disconnecting it since that connector remains live due to the power supplied by the donor car's battery. If you short that connector, you will at minimum create a big spark which will probably be scary to you, and may blow the 100A MAIN fuse depending upon the condition of the donor battery and jump cables.

4. baker2gs

baker2gs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday afternoon I began the steps to remove the battery but I realized I wouldn't have enough time to finish so I hooked the battery back up. I had a trickle charger hooked up to the terminal in the front and I ended up losing everything. So at this point it doesn't really matter, but I just wanted everyone to know.

I hope to have enough time tomorrow to do the whole job.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A portable jump start pack is the ideal tool for this job. They are incredibly handy -- I used mine to resuscitate a big pickup truck battery that was down to 2.5V, so far down that neither the Battery Minder nor the cheap Exide 6A charger would deliver any current. Sorry that you lost your settings, just be sure to do the power window initialization.