1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

installing OEM foglamps on car originally without foglamps -- existing wiring?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by prius4ed, Mar 12, 2012.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My 2004 was built without foglamps. I want to install OEM foglamps. When I wire them, are there existing wire(s) I can use from the steering wheel area to the engine room? I've added a relay in the engine room, and a switch in the dash. I just need to run a wire from the dash to the engine room and I prefer not to drill a hole if an existing wire exists. I just need one wire, to actuate the relay. I assume if the Prius was made without foglamps, the wiring harness won't have the wires from the Body ECU to the foglamp relay, relay to the fopglamps, etc. But, just wonder if anyone had any luck using an unused wire in the existing harness.

2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have related questions that I hope you won't mind me asking on this thread so another thread doesn't have to be created. My HID-equipped car has the fog lamps, the bulbs are dead and I don't feel like replacing them as I don't like the look of any 9006 bulbs.

first, I'm considering a body kit style bumper, if I just disconnect the harness and wrap it in electrical tape and find some secure place to tuck it away, will it trigger any warning lights? and second, can you connect a LED strip to the stock oem fog lamp harness (with or without modification) so that it works with the oem fog lamp switch on the stalk? (I figure 12 volts is 12 volts, and I don't want to drill thru the firewall if at all avoidable)

lastly, I plan to keep my oem bumper for use in the winter and to sell with the car if the new owner doesn't like the aftermarket bumper, so can I remove the fog lamps and remove the lower 3-piece grilles and replace it with the 1-piece lower grille? If so I may consider trading lower grilles with OP. thanks in advance everybody

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Sure. The wire doesn't care what you put out there.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks, females don't care what males go into their slot, and you don't even have to get her drunk. I'll keep that in mind.