1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Plug & Play Sirius/XM in Non-JBL Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by EdgewaterJoe, May 25, 2007.

1. EdgewaterJoe

EdgewaterJoe New Member

My first post!

I'm a new owner (36 hours and counting) of a silver '07 with a Package 2 radio -- the non-premium package. (It just didn't look like it was worth investing the extra $1,500 in an audio package most say wasn't very good.)

I am also a satellite radio geek. In my old Protege5 I had a first-generation Sirius radio installed using an FM modulator and a toggle switch for the modulation ... AND, I also had a plug-and-play XM SkyFi that I used using a cassette adaptor and the antenna in the windshield with the cord draped over my steering column.

Since I'm investing in the Prius, I've decided, believe it or not, to get two satellite radios installed in the non-premium radio. I've called the installers who worked on the Protege5 here in Chicago; both seemed to think it was doable and that I won't blow out the computers in the process.

Anyone here have one of the plug-and-plays installed in their Prius? What should I expect? And is there a package that would be able to install Sirius or XM in the non-satellite-ready radio/computer that I'm unaware of?

And as a bonus, which speakers would ultimately be best to replace the factory models? Shall I stick with Alpines, which have always done well for me? I've seen some imply that if I replace the tweeters that alone will really do the job ...

2. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edgewater Joe @ May 25 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]449740[/snapback]</div>
    Hi and congrats on your purchase! I've had my 2007 pkg 2 silver metallic since Dec 06 and am still as thrilled as day one.

Do a search here for speaker upgrade, you'll get many hits. I upgraded both front and rear speakers, and am going to install an amp and sub this weekend.

As for the XM, I couldn't justify the expense of a monthly fee for a permanent install unit, so I purchased a Pioneer Inno. I am so happy with this lil portable unit. I not only listen to XM in my car now, I listen at work, at home, and even on my garden tractor! lol

Check out this thread here:
    http://priuschat.com/My-Inno-Install-Revisted-t32940.html
    http://priuschat.com/Pics-of-my-XM-Pioneer...all-t32830.html

Since that install, i moved the antenna closer to the rear cargo door area, so no wire can be seen on the outside.

BTW, good choice on color! I think the silver metallic looks very sophisticated.

Oh and I have the speakers that I used in my signature.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edgewater Joe @ May 25 2007, 07:01 AM) [snapback]449740[/snapback]</div>
    This cannot end well.

The Prius cannot handle two SAT kits at the same time. You'll either cause both of them to fail on start-up or you'll hear both of them at the exact same time, depends on the programming of the kits. You can't use a toggle switch since the car only does recognition on start-up. Your only option is to put one kit in the car and another external one running audio that through the AUX jack.

And yes, you most certain can fry the SAT boxes with both of them plugged in. Extra crispy.

4. EdgewaterJoe

EdgewaterJoe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ May 25 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]450041[/snapback]</div>
    This is kind of what I expect, to be honest. I visited one installer and it sounds like the only way he said it would be done is by splitting the AUX jack and using that plug - and that's fine by me. I did tell him explicitly that I would never be listening to both services at the same time, and to that extent I would only put the PnP units in based on whichever one I am listening to at the time. I really just want the two docks and antenna mounted cleanly and safely and have the ability to switch between systems (and the iPod when I want to listen to that). Anything beyond that is a bonus.

And, needless to say, I'm hoping the Sirius/XM merger happens.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Edgewater Joe @ May 25 2007, 02:53 PM) [snapback]450079[/snapback]</div>

I'm not! Who's gonna decide who's the better program director?

I listen to Ambiant music alot, and Sirius's selection is great. XM's is horrid. What if they fire the wrong guy??!?!?!?! Panic!