1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Scangauge11

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bogeybob513, Jan 20, 2007.

1. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just purchased a diagnostic/gauge device, Scangauge11, for installation in a 2006 Prius. Has anyone else done so? I intend to mount it in the pop-open box under the radio where you would normally put sunglasses but am concerned of any problems trying to get into the back of that box.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Jan 20 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]378221[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have a scanguage, but it does sound like an interesting project. I used the instructions here when figuring out how to get to the back of the radio to plug in an aux box cable. I'd think you could remove the AC vent beside the center stack on the passenger side and get the access you need.

http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have a ScanGauge I rather than a II (the SG I is bigger, but functionally it is almost identical). But that doesn't matter for this suggestion: I have it on the dash just to the left of the MFD, secured with two strips of Velcro. I wanted it where I didn't have to shift my line of sight far from the road to see it. It was not a conscious decision to enable rapid visual shifting between the SG, speedometer, and MFD, but it turns out this location makes that ideal, while, again, minimizing how far I take my eyes off the road. That ability helps me monitor some of the rapid-fire changes occurring in the ICE and hybrid system, notably RPM on the SG and energy consumption on the MFD. And then all that helps me drive for optimal fuel economy.

4. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 20 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]378226[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, I don't know if the 2004 and 2006 are identical in that area but I'm sure the info will be helpfull. I downloaded your file.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jan 20 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]378249[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I'll consider that option after I get the device. Just concerned where the cable will be.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Jan 20 2007, 06:49 AM) [snapback]378221[/snapback]</div>
    You can see the way I installed my ScanGuageII here:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...mp;#entry333613
    in post number 21. It worked for me.

I didn't want to make any permanent changes to my car that I might regret later.

6. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Jan 20 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]378252[/snapback]</div>
    Not my file, thank Chris Dragon. I'm pretty sure the '05 and '06 are identical, at least as far as taking the dash apart. Good Luck!

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [​IMG]

The OBDII plug will look something like the picture above and most likely be under the dash. If not, try the console or under the passenger glove compartment.

The fuel consumption and mpg readouts don't work with many hybrids, but it still gives a lot of useful information. For instance, you can check the coolant temperature with and without a cardboard radiator cover.

If you forget to tighten the gas cap, resetting the codes twice with ScanGage, will pay for itself. :)

8. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bb513 @ Jan 20 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]378252[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 20 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]378260[/snapback]</div>
    No need to disassemble the dash. Delta Flyer has provided a good picture of what to look for; the SG just plugs into that connector. In the Prius, it's right behind the bottom edge of the dash, forward of where your right knee probably is. Which puts it in line with where I have it on the dash. So I've run the cable straight down from the SG to the ODBII jack. The excess cable is coiled around the windshield wiper control stalk, which works well: It's out of the way, mostly out of view, and doesn't interfere with the wiper control.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 20 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]378281[/snapback]</div>
    Most readouts obtainable via the ScanGauge are available in the Prius, with the exception of two engine parameters: MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and FPR (fuel pressure). All fuel consumption readings are available, including those for the trip, current day, previous day, and tank. Just make sure you set it up with a fuel type of "Hybrid." Otherwise, it resets your trip readings each time the ICE powers off more than a few seconds.

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    So, doesn't the SG II monitor engine temperature, oil pressure, like that? I mean it does read other items that tge Prius doesn't already provide, doesn't it? :eek:

10. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Jan 20 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]378446[/snapback]</div>
    Engine temps, yes; oil pressure, no. Beyond that, yes it provides many other engine parameters. Here's the complete list of parameters available via both the SG and the Prius OBDII data stream:
    • RPM
      Vehicle speed
      Engine (i.e., coolant) temperature
      Air intake temperature
      Instantaneous MPG (handy for verifying MFD readings)
      Instantaneous fuel consumption per hour
      Throttle position sensor
      Engine loading (%)
      Ignition timing
      12V battery voltage
      Fuel system loop status (open or closed)
    You can select from this list to display four of them at a time. And you can easily change the display on the fly.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i am using hdrygas' scangauge and i just have it sitting on the dash in front of the dash display. its version 1 so its bigger and it does not block my vision of the road. (it does cause me to have to move my head a bit to see all of the dash, but it mostly just obscures the gas gauge and a few of the idiot lights. not all that bad at all. the version two is smaller so should be even less of an issue. but not using velcro or anything to keep it in place. the cable i route over the MFD and over the center hump back up to under the dash just to the left of the center console area

i checked out the one mounting option and i agree that i want it more line of sight to what i HAVE to be looking at. as it stands now, i only have to lean forward a bit (although i am not tall, i have the seat only one notch from being as far back as it goes) to change the display mode so it can be done while still having one eye on the road

12. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ Jan 20 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]378255[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I see what you have done.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jan 20 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]378335[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I thought the computer was under the driver's seat which was why I was considering bringing it up to the compartment under the radio. I will set the fuel type to hybrid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Jan 20 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]378281[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, that should help me.