1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Stalix, May 13, 2007.

1. Stalix

Stalix New Member

Hello all.

I have an 01 base line prius which i just installed an amp and sub woofer into. Currently I have the inputs into the amp coming from the rear speakers. I was wondering would it make a large difference to run a direct line from the stock stereo to the amp? Because right now when i have rapid bass I hear a little lag in the subwoofer so was hoping that running a direct line from the stereo would correct that at least a little.

Also where is the simplest point to connect the remote signal for the amp(that signal that tells the amp to turn on and off)? I currently have it connected to the taillight so i just ride with the lights on and since the prius turns off headlight automatically its great, but I wanted a better solution. In case i dont want the subwoofer on during the night.

Sorry if these questions were already asked but i could find the answers.

Thank you.

2. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stalix @ May 13 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]441229[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I am sure that the factory head unit doesn't have preamp out's, so unless you put in an after market head unit, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. You could install CleanSweep and that would clean up the signal and clear up the muddy sound a little, which I hear all the time through my sub.

As for the power lead...you should be able to find a wiring schematic that will show you the power wires coming out of the stereo, it would mean a longer runner, but a direct connect to the audio system. You might also stop at a specialty shop (car stereo shop) and ask around.

Good luck.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Using the rear speaker line as an input should be just fine. What amp and sub are you running? The sub response just could be due to the make/model of it.

For the remote wire, you could try tapping into a cigarette 12v socket, provided those are only turned on when the car is on. You could also tap into the accessory power cable for your headunit, if you can get back there.

4. Stalix

Stalix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ May 13 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]441365[/snapback]</div>
    I'm running a 1000w Audiobahn 12" subwoofer with a 850w Boss Single channel. I was planning on running the remote wire from the cigarette liter but i didn't want to go all that far, I was hoping there was a wire near the trunk area i could use.

thank you for your replies so far.

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I recall correctly, the Audiobahn is an SPL (sound-pressure level) type sub with the purpose of blowing up the world. For better bass response (ie rapid bass), you should go for something more SQ (sound quality) oriented.