1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing Taxi Meter in 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by cfisher109, Dec 27, 2008.

1. cfisher109

cfisher109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Greetings to all,

Converting my 07 into a taxi and need help installing a Centrodyne Silent 610 meter and toplight. Any assistance from other Prius taxi owners or automotive electricians would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.........

Chris

2. cfisher109

cfisher109 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  3. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't even imagine how a taxi-meter interfaces with the car... unless maybe it connects via the OBDII port for mileage data?

I tried doing a quick google search on Centrodyne Silent 610 on my break and didn't really see anything useful on how that unit interfaces with a car, maybe if you can provide that kind of information we can help you to find out what you can connect where to make it work.

4. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here in Ireland all Taxi meters have to be installed by certified installers,with correct tariff installed that incorporate Bank Holidays and so on and then has to be checked by Legal Metrology[Govt body]for correct calibration.
    I know when the meter was being installed[rear view mirror meter]the installer had a little trouble finding what they refer to as PULSE,as the Prius was new to the Taxi industry[i could hear my ears burning when i went to pick up my car]
    I'm not too sure that installing a Taxi meter is a DIY job in any country....I'll probably eat those words!!

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    halpos4,

For first hand experience on this matter, you might consider using the search
    tool, with "taxi" as the search term. By reviewing the appropriate threads you
    can identify taxi owner/operator members. In addition to yourself, I quickly
    identified; ScottfrmGeorgia, green_taxi, and dek1234.

You could then PrivateMail them directly. Even if they aren't currently active
    members, they will get an email announcing your PM.

Hope this helps.

6. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    You may also want to contact Green Tomato cars in the UK - they've got a fleet of Prius :)

Nikki.

7. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius taxis on the road in Townsville. But no idea how the meter is hooked up.

9. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    bump bump bump :)

Any info on this topic?

I also have a cetrodyne 610 silent in my SUV taxi. It runs off the obdII port but whats stinks is the hardware to plug into the obdII and convert the pulses into mileage data isn't cheap. I think its like $500 plus the cost of the meter plus installing all of it. I didn't install mine (previous owner did) but i traced all the wires and thats how I determined how it workds.
    Once you plug everything in, how you calibrate it all and get it to do what you need it to do (charge x/per mile) is still a mystery to me.

This is a topic with nearly zero internet support for in all my searches.

I ask all this because I want to get a prius for taxi as well and would like to install it myself.

Prius is a techy car. I'm willing to bet it all goes through the obdII port. Another downside to OBDII port meter running is if you get a check engine light you gotta unplug the obdII piggypack plug for the meter. You meter doesn't like to work correctly after unplugging it sometimes.