1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Installing USB-ports in rear doors?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Internetman, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Internetman

Internetman New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello there! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Feeling the need for a more accessible way for the kids to charge their devices on long trips, I've scoured the web for a possible way to install USB-plugs in the backseat area. Main reason being I have three children and the plug-in USB-socket connected to the 12v outlet in the back of the center console is in risk of accidentally being kicked by the kid sitting in the middle.

I found this vid:

which makes it look like it's not a really big deal to install a USB-connection in the rear doors. The young gentleman in the above vid connects the hubs to window motor's wires. I've seen vids explaining how to remove the door panel, so all there's left for me to know is which wires in the window hub to cut and connect the USB-sockets to.
    [​IMG]
    I don't really know a lot about electrical stuff i.e amps, voltage and how much these USB-sockets would draw and potentially overload the fuse connected to the window motors. The sockets themselves are 96 W PD 3.0 USB C Sockets 12 V.

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and I'm mainly looking for words of warning/ (ideally words of encouragement)/whether or not this is a good idea and/or genereal tips and tales of experience in this regard.

Thanks in advance and have a glorious Monday.

#1 Internetman, Apr 29, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024