1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instantaneous MPG readings for best fuel economy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by JimboK, Apr 30, 2007.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In researching ICE efficiency, some of our technical geniuses have defined efficency ranges that correlate with RPM. RPM too low, the engine "loafs," and you might as well glide (at <40 MPH) or warp stealth (at higher speeds). Too high, it burns more fuel than necessary.

To help develop a simple rule for the the common man (and woman) without added instrumentation, lately I've been watching the relationship between vehicle speed, RPM, and instantanous fuel consumption. Here's my initial draft of such a rule: Keep the MPG between half the vehicle speed and 1.2 times the vehicle speed. Based on my preliminary observations, I'm estimating that this results in engine speeds staying between 1400 and 2400 maybe 90% of the time or better.

Most of my observations have been in suburban and urban driving, so there could be differences at highway speeds.

I am interested in the observations and feedback of others with a ScanGauge, Can-view, or other engine monitoring device. Is the concept viable? Are your observations similar? Do the upper and lower ends need to be tweaked (but still keeping the math simple)? Does the rule work at highway speeds? Has this been suggested previously and I just haven't searched enough to find it?

Thanks in advance!

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting and potentially very helpful to those wishing to maximize w/o instrumentation.

I've a few suggestions for you to fine tune though.
    1)See if you can narrow down the instantaneous readout specifically for "acceleration/pulsing" at speeds b/w 10mph and 40mph. IMO that's the most critical range esp. for those who use P&G.
    2)Be sure to correlate the SOC of the battery....as SOC gets to or below 50% you get much more charging of the battery and less power to wheels. This may not affect the instant. FE read-out, but it may and deserves a closer look.
    3)Once you've pinned this down a bit more closely, esp. if you can get it to hit that 1700-2300 'sweet spot' most of the time, you might even want to make a chart showing a target instant FE for a given speed in 5mph increments.

Good idea and good work!

3. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Looks like a data logger would be useful. The SoC is going to make the results hard to repeat. Is the drive state of "deadbanding" the best for acceleration or should one take a little from the battery? and does MPG remain constant in this deadband as the speed increases?

This morning I used litres per hour and miles per litre alongside rpm and coolant temperature on the ScanGauge. Litres per hour was used as a measure of acceleration effort and miles per litre to fine tune the throttle when cruising (at around 50mph). These settings might be useful in comparing MPG and rpm. I am using litres because it gives me better resolution (and the US gallons are short measures).

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ Apr 30 2007, 07:53 AM) [snapback]432477[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, you want a little charge going TO the battery during acceleration and that is one of the things that's accomplished during 'sweet spot' accelleration b/w 1700-2300rpm. This is the 'pulse' portion of pulse and glide. Recall that a small drain from the battery occurs during gliding and it's necessary to put some back during the pulse portion.
    I long believed the mantra of 'dead banding' until Hobbit showed the sweet spot range and as my understanding of P&G slowly settled in.

5. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 30 2007, 03:57 AM) [snapback]432458[/snapback]</div>
    As I am not going to multiply numbers in my head as i am accelerating from a red light... to even simplify further, could we state that if we kept the MPG figure approximately the same as MPH figure, we would be doing just fine?

That would be a great rule of thumb... very easy to follow and visualize.

6. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for posting this. I have a dumb question; why would accelerating with MPG > 1.2MPH be a problem? I don't see the need for an upper limit. Or is that just the best you can typically achieve?

Since you posted this I have noticed yesterday and today that when I accelerate from a stop, my MPG is usually somewhat less than 0.5MPH until I get up to speed, even worse going up hill obviously. I haven't played around with acceleration techniques too much, but I generally try to get up to speed pretty quickly and smoothly without jackrabbiting or anything. I thought that was the most efficient method. Could I not be pushing it enough? When forced to go slower (if someone is in front of me), I have noticed that MPG is still usually less than 0.5 MPH. Once I start maintaining speeds around 45 - 60 MPH, MPG usually equals or exceeds MPH unless I'm going uphill, but then I get much higher MPG on the downhill glide/warp stealth. I think I really need to get a ScanGauge to start monitoring RPMs.

7. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 1 2007, 11:19 AM) [snapback]433231[/snapback]</div>
    Not a dumb question at all. At the lowest range of RPM the ICE is operating inefficiently. It's better to let it cut off completely (through gliding or warp stealth) or give it a little more pedal to nudge it up into a more efficient range. (This is essentially what pulse and glide does: accelerate to a certain speed with RPM within its efficient range then back off into an ICE-off glide.) From my ScanGauge, the RPM seems to mostly reside in this low inefficient range when MPG > 1.2 x MPH.

For my simple mind I try to keep things on a "see Spot run" level. To that end, here's an analogy that helps me explain it. Whether it's scientifically valid, I'll let the experts decide. When your body moves on foot, the most efficient method is walking naturally. It's fast enough to get you where you're going but not too fast to tire prematurely (i.e., run out of fuel). But let's say you slow your pace almost to a shuffle: each pace covers, say, a foot or so. Calorie expenditure per step presumably drops off, but the dropoff in speed is likely greater. So you'd probably cover less distance per [x] amount of fuel burned. Make sense?

So for the ICE, the dropoff in power at these low ranges is probably greater than the dropoff in fuel consumption.

As for your acceleration, try moderating it a bit to keep the MPG higher than 0.5 x MPH. I think you'll find it adequate for most situations except moderate to steep uphills. This will also help me validate whether the rule is workable.

A ScanGauge is a very useful tool, and seeing the actual RPM is more precise. But I am hoping we can develop an easy-to-use tool for folks who choose not to buy a SG, assuming they can do some simple math quickly in their head. John raises a valid point that some are better or more comfortable with math than others.

John, your rule of course would be even simpler, though less consistently maintainable.

8. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I see now. Thanks Jim. I'm going to play around some more with acceleration from a stop on the way home today and will let you know if I have any more luck getting MPG above 0.5 x MPH.

FWIW, I don't see the math problem with this rule as comparing your MPG readout to half your speed barely qualifies to me. I guess with the 1.2 x MPH it could be more problematic for some. But I would think that not letting MPG get too much above MPH would be sufficient for most.

9. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 1 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]433321[/snapback]</div>
    Keeping the MPG equal to MPH is not rigid... just visually easy. In fact, even if not achievable, it would be just an easy objective to try to attain.

As a specific example, Highly ImPriused is now at 0.5 MPH... and you can see that he is trying to change / understand his acceleration behavior to move closer towards 1.0 MPH. Of course, if you can do better than 1.0 MPH then you might be better off... but it has diminishing returns and, for the general public, moving them towards 1.0 MPH would have a significant impact on MPG.

Another way to look at it is for the instruction to be: As you accelerate, try to keep the MPG number equal or close to the MPH number. If you go below half the MPH number, then you really need to improve.

10. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I tried some different ways of accelerating from a stop on my commute home yesterday and back in this morning. I found that in order to get MPG > 0.5 x MPH, I had to accelerate pretty gingerly. Much slower than what I had previously been led to believe was the most efficient way of accelerating, based on other posts on here. I never floored it before, just gave it what I considered to be decent acceleration; nothing that would throw your head back or anything. I had to go much slower to achieve this goal; certainly not slow enough to use just battery power, but not a whole lot more than that. I wonder if this is just me for some reason or if others are finding this to be the case as well. BTW, acceleration to maintain speed or increase it a little bit when already moving hasn't been a problem. I'm easily able to get MPG in Jim's target zone in those situations on a flat.

Regarding the upper limit of 1.2 x MPH, a situation came up a few times that had me questioning it again. Say you're traveling about 40 MPH and need to maintain speed due to traffic on a slight uphill where gliding is not possible. I've found that in these situations I'm only using a little bit of ICE power and getting MPG > 1.2 MPH (maybe about 60 MPG at 40 MPH). I understand that technically this isn't a very efficient way to use the ICE. The only way to get out of it (since gliding isn't an option going uphill) is to accelerate a bit more and I find that I can indeed get MPG close to MPH while gaining a bit of speed. I don't have a problem with this, but isn't doing that ultimately less efficient if you're getting lower MPG? Say you have this situation for 1 mile prior to the next downhill where you can glide. To get to that point you are obviously going to use more gas over that stretch if you average 60 MPG vs. 40 MPG. I realize that we aren't talking about much gas here; I calculate it as a difference of about 0.0083 gallons (or just a little over 1 ounce) for the hypothetical 1 mile stretch. I think I'm probably using more battery power in getting the higher MPG and maintaining speed, but in my situation I very rarely see the SOC drop below 4 bars anyway (it usually resides between 5 and 7). I have no problem regenerating adequate energy due to the need for multiple stops on a hilly commute. So for my situation, it seems to me that maintaining MPG > 1.2 MPH in these limited situations is more efficient over all but doesn't really make that much a difference. Am I missing anything?

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think your missing a Scangauge II to monitor your RPM. If your that serious about improving your MPG, invest in an instrument that will help you better than the MFD ever will.

Wayne

12. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 2 2007, 09:46 AM) [snapback]433883[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I hear you and I'm planning on it. Just have to convince the wife ...

13. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe how much percent you drive without ICE, gliding percentage, is the key.
    The attached picture is came from the famous 1400 mile marathon.
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/showpos...mp;postcount=77
    It shows...
    Distance Traveled: 150.78 Km (93.7 mile)
    Avg. FE with Engine On: 9.84 Km/L (23 mpg)
    Avg. speed: 39 km/h (24 mph)
    Percent Distance ICE On: 19% (81% gliding)
    Fuel Consumed: 2.942 L (0.777 gallons)
    Fuel economy: 51.25 km/L (120.56 mpg)

In this case, avg. speed and avg. engine on mpg is almost same, 24 mph vs 23 mpg.
    Anyway, the data came from my SuperMID M-1.
    http://priusdiy.fc2web.com/

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

14. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I have just had my first full week with the ScanGauge and I too have found that my past acceleration has been "too fast". The engine starts to make some noticable sound after 2600rpm, so if you hear this change then you are outside and above the sweetspot. Keeping within the 1700 to 2300 range gives me an acceleration of just over 1mph per second on the flat. Is this a good description of moderate acceleration?

81% gliding is amazing.

15. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ May 3 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]434627[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, 1 mph per second seems really slow to me. But I think that's about what I had to do to get MPG > 0.5 x MPH. So I think that's a good rule of thumb. I'll confirm later today. Looks like I need to recalibrate my driving habits. :eek:

I agree about how amazing that 81% gliding is. Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever learn to tolerate an average speed of 24 mph over 94 miles. I'd go batty after 15 minutes of that for sure. Kudos to you Ken for doing it.

16. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 2 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]433877[/snapback]</div>
    First, thanks for your feedback and for continuing to be a guinea pig!

That constant 40+ MPH scenario is tough. Sometimes you have no choice but to run in an inefficient range.

If speed and traffic conditions allow, I'll try warp stealth. Keeping RPM within its target range, I will allow acceleration to the fastest I can go safely and without getting a ticket, then drop into warp stealth until I have to accelerate again. Sometimes it might move me along a little faster than prevailing traffic, creating enough cushion to allow the warp stealth to transition briefly into a true glide. Of course if traffic is heavy and impatient, those behind you might stay on your bumper no matter the speed, and may not appreciate your wide (to them) fluctuations in speed. I try to avoid inciting road rage, so in those cases I just resign myself to going with the flow.

So alternatively, I try to seek routes where I can avoid the need to drive in mid-speed ranges (40-50 MPH or so).

17. Highly ImPriused

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Quite welcome. This is actually fun to me. Plus it's giving me all the more impetus to get a ScanGauge eventually.

Nearly 50% of my commute is in the mid-speed range you describe (secondary roads with 40 or 45 mph speed limits). I try to pulse and warp-stealth as much as possible and that has helped. I'm up to 50 MPG on my current tank so there is some progress I think (my first tank came out to 39 mpg). There is an alternate route that is longer distance but involves about 50% interstate driving. I need to give that a shot and see how it compares over all.

18. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    One more thing I forgot in my last post: Judicious use of EV mode.

Part of one of my commutes is the steady 40 MPH scenario we've been discussing. It mostly is flat or with very gentle inclines, though there are two "valleys" with some pretty good hills on either side. It's about 4 miles on a two-lane road with a 40 MPH speed limit. I would term the traffic moderate, but heavy enough for me to avoid serious P&G. And at 5:30 in the afternoon it's almost all commuters anxious to get home.

After I turn onto this road and get up to ~ 40 MPH, I have some choices, depending on traffic behind me:
    1. Full P&G. Again, rarely possible, at least in a sustained way. Cars behind frequently turn off into their subdivisions, so that buys me some distance to do occasional short glides.
    2. Maintain at the low end of the RPM "sweet spot" efficiency range, around 1400 or so, until it's time to go ICE-off. As I said before, this may give me a little cushion to allow a transition from warp stealth to pure glide below 40 MPH for a brief time. Traffic and terrain determine how long I hold the ICE-off phase.
    3. Maintain at about 40 with pedal-induced EV mode. On the flat and even on some of the more gradual uphills, I can maintain speed. I don't use EV on the downhills because I'll gain speed and the ICE will light. The amount of pedal needed to induce EV is enough to light the ICE at speeds above 40, but not enough to push RPM into the sweet spot range. So as I crest one of those gradual climbs in EV, I'll back off into a glide.
    When I hit the valleys, I let 'er rip with a glide or warp stealth, gaining as much momentum as safely possible to help carry me up the other side. At the bottom I give it the gas, again to get RPM into the lower end of the sweet spot range. As I ascend the hill and progressively lose speed, I progressively give it more pedal until RPM is toward the top end of the sweet spot range. I've learned to time the pedal so that, with the length and incline of the valleys, I'm generally back down to about 40 MPH when I reach the summit on the backside. This also tends to build a cushion behind me.

And oh, yeah, we were originally talking about a rule of thumb to use without a tach. I was watching the relationship of speed, RPM, and instantaneous fuel consumption pretty closely on this leg today. At no time did my MPG get below 0.5 x MPH or above 1.2 x MPH during any of this.

19. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmmmmmmm i thought the efficency range for the engine is 1500 + rpm? 1500 rpm is RIGHT about 4 liters per hour (1.1 gallon?) and that's where you get the best "Bang torque" for your liquids of fuel in the combustion chamber while minimizing pumping losses (which is not as much as a miller cycle but its still there).

Once you go over 5 liters an hour (1650 rpm +), I notice the deminishing effects of movement vs gas sprayed starts to really notice, since friction is an enemy to us all, so 1700 rpm would be my (performance accel) while 2300 rpm would be my (redline).

all stats from Can-view so i use the engine for power, then shut off and coast! pulse and glide for the win! the car was MEANT to be driven this way and those who try to cruise for high MPG in the CITY are just WASTING THEIR TIME. Not only the engine is below the efficency spot but usually in that crusing state your not using all the engine power to cruise (some juice is brought back to the battery) so conversion losses galore!

When your on the highway however (50 mph>) then the engine usually is IN the sweet spot to maintain those crazy areodynamic winds... but hey nothing a fat truck can't save us all :) (94 mpg segment on drafting the whole 7 mile highway!)

although its just a pisser when your pulsing, and then when gliding the engine is idling... doh... must install ev mode but too lazzyyy

20. chogan

chogan New Member

Extremely helpful post, extremely helpful discussion. Before this, the instantaneous mileage readout was useless to me as a guide to fuel economy during acceleration. Now its not.

I hope Toyota reads this and acts accordingly. If the approximate optimimum, for typical (on the flat) conditions is really so well defined in terms of RPM range, then Toyota ought to equip the car with a "sweet spot" light, similar in concept to the "shift lights" on some manual transmission cars I've had. A simple visual clue to help the interested driver optimize fuel economy -- three lights (revs low, revs right, revs high).

For those who never had one, the "shift light" would come on if you over-revved the engine, to prompt you to upshift. It was not always right -- if you were accelerating uphill you had to have the sense to ignore it -- but it was right enough that, as I recall, VW actually got a higher EPA MPG rating when they introduced it because they convinced the EPA that the light would result in more efficient average driving. The shift light was just a vaccum gauge, I think, but these days, shoot, put in a tilt sensor for uphill and downhill, make the care aware of when you are accelerating from stop or near stop, monitor the flows into and out of the battery, and you could with little effort make the light come on only and precisely when its supposed to. I don't really see a barrier to putting this in any modern automatic transmission car. Do any currently produced automatic transmission cars have anything like this? If not why not?

Hah, for every good or bad idea I've ever had, somebody else had it first. Apparently there's a bill to require something like this by 2014.

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/bills/show/...N_357.html#toc0

"Requires passenger automobiles and light trucks be equipped with fuel economy indicators and devices beginning with model year 2014."

Well, that could just mean the instantanous milage readout.

Oh for dumb. Toyota already has it in the works, as described here:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/10/toyota_eco_drive.php

"Tokyo — TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today that, beginning in October, new Japanese-market vehicle models with automatic transmissions will be equipped with the Eco Drive Indicator, a feature meant to encourage environmentally considerate driving. This development—aimed at reducing CO2 emissions through increased fuel efficiency—is part of Toyota's efforts to combat global warming.

Based on a comprehensive determination that takes into consideration such factors as accelerator use, engine and transmission efficiency and speed and rate of acceleration, the Eco Drive Indicator, located on the instrument panel, lights up when the vehicle is being operated in a fuel-efficient manner. This is hoped will raise driver awareness toward environmentally considerate driving and contribute to fuel economy."

HEY TOYOTA, BRING IT OVER HERE PLEASE.

The text description from Toyota makes it sound like what I was describing, but the article describes it as being a knockoff on the five-minute bars in the Prius.