1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instructions for Side Mouldings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sbritt, Oct 6, 2006.

1. sbritt

sbritt New Member

Can someone post the instructions for installing the side mouldings, or email them to me? I purchased these from the Prius Chat Store, but it only came with the mouldings, no insturctions. I am getting no responses to various email sent to the Prius Chat store, but that is another issue.

I searched for the instructions, but only found instructions for side mouldings that also came with some type of glue. Since I did not recieve anything other then the actual mouldings I am assuming that I am only missing the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

New Prius owner.

Steve

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First, welcome to you as a new Prius owner and PC poster. If you haven't already discovered, this site and its participants are a wealth of information.

Mine had the glue, and IIRC, all of the threads I've seen with installation tips and instructions include references to the glue. I ordered mine from a different source, so the mouldings themselves could be different, but I'd bet you were shortchanged not only instructions but also glue. Until you're able to verify they're designed to be installed without the glue, I'd be inclined to hold off the installation.

Beyond that, I'm not much help. The instructions I had (not sure I still even have them) include using the glue. All I can say is keep trying to contact them. Maybe others here can offer additional or differing advice.

Good luck.

3. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I installed the moldings on my Prius without problem. Mine came with a little glue tube, but I have seen alot of posting where people just used just the glued backing only and it holds very well.

Here are the steps. The moldings need to have a slight down angle (back to front) to look right and follow the lines of the car. This works best with 2 people doing it.

- Measure 13" up from bottom of front door and 13 3/4" up from bottom of rear door. Mark with grease pencil or something that will easily rub off.

- Using blue painter's tape (low tack), lay a straight line with the tape the lenght of the doors, with the measurement line at the top of the tape. (don't pull too hard on the tape because it will deform and you won't get a straight line.)

- clean the area above the tape with alcohol prep pad to remove wax, dirt, etc.

- the center parts of the molding can be laid in line with the edge of the doors (where the 2 doors meet) since one is beveled. don't worry, they will not hit when the door is opened.

- With one person holding the edge lined up as above, start from the front tip and slowly peel back the backing paper and press the now exposed glue section to the car. the backing should be peeled back at a slight angle so as not to tear. Continue peeling and pressing down as you move towards the back of the car.

- Repeat with back door.

- Press pretty hard when finished to make sure that it is adhered well.

- remove blue tape and use again for other side.

It's really not that hard, and only takes about 10 minutes per side.

Before you start you can use the tape to hold the pcs. against the car to check out the angles. I saw a photo from one guy who put it on level with the ground and it looked terrible.

Good luck. Hope this helped.

4. sbritt

sbritt New Member

Thanks for the help. I will post pics when I am done. Looking forward to doing it.

Steve

5. genec

genec New Member

Have you noticed any change in MPG since you put the side moldings on?
    I just bought an '07 and fear that someone will 'door' me.
    Gene

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 6 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]329226[/snapback]</div>

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(genec @ Mar 16 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]406973[/snapback]</div>
    No, not at all.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I believe that those little tubes are 'activator' intended to prepare the paint surface for the adhesive already on the back side of the body side mouldings.

For both my old Prius {2004} and the newer one {2007 touring}, I chose to have my dealer's body shop do the installation and don't know whether the 'activator' was used. They did the 2004 at no charge, and the 2007 for $40. The effect on MPG is negligible, probably non-existent.

[attachmentid=6904]

Attached Files:

8. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $40 sounds like a good deal... my dealer told me thaty are charging $100 and up!!!!!

9. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Mar 17 2007, 12:27 AM) [snapback]407281[/snapback]</div>
    whoa! don't do that! my wife and I have put these on 3 prii and a hycam. it's slighter harder than putting a stamp on an envelope.

rpm