1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instrument Display Brightness: Lights On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sidecar, Oct 10, 2012.

1. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the winter conditions this year Ive been driving my 08 Prius with the sidelights and foglights on. While there are benefits to this see and be seen strategy the hitch to this is the speedometer (in particular) and MFD are dimmed to meet nightime glare provisions.

Ive messed with the display brightness in the MFD to no avail, and the control doesnt work on the Speedometer anyway, is there something Ive missed, or some potential fix for this situation?

TIA

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the same problem until I discovered the cure.

Turn side lights on press km/miles button as many times as it takes to get the brightness level you want (scrolls round) you will need to do this every time you go out in daylight and turn the lights on as it resets itself when you turn them off "no big deal".

koolingit likes this.
  3. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm yeah. Except Au doesn't have Km/MPH button, it does however have a 'brightness' button for the instruments. Unfortunately what it does is give 3 stages of dimness, but doesn't bring up daylight driving brightness. :(

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry did not realize you do not have the extra button next to the oddo button. Try the oddo button and as I said in my previous post only works with the lights on.

5. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I will give it another try tomorrow
    thanks for your help.

6. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would it be easier to rig up Daytime Running Lights? I have the factory LED's on my 2012 and they are very bright in the day and low down enough to make for poor man's fog lights in the day. You could probably have someone rig up DRL's for your 2008. Less power draw and less wear on the regular lights.

7. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm yes. Its a possibility, I just wanted to run out the idea that there maybe something Ive missed in the controls the car already has first. It might come down to rewiring the fogs into another circuit, as any alternate lights would be anyway.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In some countries UK included if it is raining or visibility is poor, lights front and rear are compulsory and that turns down the brightness of the speedo making it difficult to see in daylight.

It seems as though only the US and Canada get the thumb wheel dimmer.

In the European version the mile/km button serves the function when the lights are on but apparently the version in Australia does not have this button either.

9. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live rurally in hilly mountainous country where it rains often. If one looked at car colours and safety, silver cars like mine must be the last thing one can see as it so quickly absorbs the tones of the colours around it. Lights are a real help

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I also have a silver Prius.

By the way my Prius has a brightness adjustment on the MFD but the oddo button adjustment overrides this.

If you have one carefully read the manual as it took me three years to find out about the oddo button "not exactly intuitive". There must be some hidden way to achieve the same result on your car however well hidden.

11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually it is darker in those conditions, the reason for the lights being on, so not full daylight which should compensate.

The person asking the question seemed to be talking of using the lights when not required to be on he just wanted them on for his own standards. In which case, rigging up daytime running lights (which I thought were EU requirements also) would work.

That is a pain. Light intensity switch is nice and doesn't need to be reset every time the car is turned on.

12. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried to use this today, all the brightness control does is make it dimmer from its already dimmed output :(

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You have to push the button three or four times it goes dim, dim, dim, bright

14. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah I found out how it works, but its more like dim, dimmer, dimmer still, back to dim. Its clearly a lot less bright than without side lights on

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think you must have a problem with it as mine goes up to full daytime level of brightness including the MFD. I have shown three other friends how to do this in the UK and they all work the same.

16. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DRL's are only required on vehicles within the EU registered after 01/01/2012.

One point in the law is unclear at the moment because DRL's are only fitted to the front of a vehicle meaning there are no lights on the rear of the vehicle.

In daylight hours when it is raining or visibility is poor the law states headlamps should be used, and that automatically puts on the rear lights part of the construction and use regulations.

18. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Many US states have similar laws.

19. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi mate.. try putting an MFD visor. it might help bring out some contrast. been wanting to brighten my mfd as well but don't have the chance to put one yet.

20. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks but, of all things its the speedometer that worries me most