1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Instrumentation Lighting at Night

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by buckaroo, Dec 2, 2011.

1. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The night instrument lighting at night is a bit sparse in the Prius v. It is much darker in there than I thought and I may have to supplement it with some other lighting. Not used to that part of it. It is a small concern and I can probably have some mini-LEDs in there but it is a bit disconcerting for me right now.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you tried adjusting the instrument panel dimmer wheel to your lower left? You can push it all the way up until it clicks and it will convert back to daytime light levels that is plenty bright at night.

3. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. Still not bright enough.

4. dz302

dz302 Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Amazing, because when mine is all the way up, it's too bright for my personal taste, so I turn it down.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only time that I can keep the dimmer all of the way up is right at dusk or dawn. At dusk, I have to cut it back as soon as it is really dark outside as it is way too bright for my taste.

6. 66Zoomie

66Zoomie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I agree completely. Drove it at night last week and noticed three "areas of deficiency:" a) the shifter is so dark that the pattern can't be seen unless one of the lights above the mirror is turned on [yeah, I know, there are only two choices - R and D - but having owned this Prius v only a couple of weeks, it's still new to me!]; b) the panel light rheostat in front of the left knee isn't lighted at all, and turning on a light above the mirror doesn't help one bit; definite design oversight there; and c) neither the driver or the passenger footwells are illuminated, and they should have at least an led in each side.
    If someone else agrees and comes up with a relatively easy fix with mini-LEDs, please tell us!! 66Zoomie

7. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am going to look for some mini-LEDs to address the lower left side of the drivers' cockpit. I hate that I have to do that. You would think Toyota would have noticed that. Would like to draw the power from the vehicle itself but not going to mess with the vehicle due to warranty concerns. May speak with dealer about a possible fix.

8. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's odd because footwell lights were standard on Ausiie 2010 Gen IIIs

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that's weird. On the regular 3rd Gen Prius, the shifter is illuminated by an overhead LED light, that's why it has no backlighting. There should be one on the v.

Also, I thought footwell lighting was available on higher trim levels (it is on the 3rd Gen Prius Four and Five models)

10. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What about the mirror controlls,are they illuminated ?

11. BlizzardPearlV

BlizzardPearlV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My Touring and tech package has footwell lights. They are sort of an amber colour. Also when my shift knob is sitting in its resting position there is back lighting that I believe lights up the shift pattern. You lose the lighting once you move the shifter but you can just reference the shift pattern on the instrument cluster too if you are unsure. Its the exact same pattern.

If I have a gripe its that the instrument panel is centrally mounted. I would much prefer it if it was mounted infront of the driver.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh so it is backlit? Right I forgot it's now a horizontal shifter, not a vertical one. oops! So it works the same as the 2nd Gen Prius.

I don't recall Toyota ever illuminating their mirror controls (except the power folding button)

13. buckaroo

buckaroo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't recall that the mirror controls are lit. I spoke with the dealer and he recommended an aftermarket shop that could help me. I am going to get some type of LED lighting installed lower by the floor, kinda like theatre lighting for the front and back areas that has a dimmer control.

14. civicdriver06

civicdriver06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A