1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insult Islam, go to JAIL.. or have a hit put on you

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by desynch, Mar 20, 2007.

1. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They burn down Churches because of a cartoon. They throw bricks through McDonalds windows because they fry their french fries w/ the meat grease. They put hits on reports for speaking their opinion about the evils if Islam. What awesome "moderates"!

Reporters on trial for insulting Islam
    March 20, 2007 07:22am
    Article from: ReutersFont size: + -
    Send this article: Print Email
    AZERBAIJAN began the trial today of two journalists accused of insulting Muslims by printing articles critical of Islam and the Prophet Mohammad.

The defendants say the case - which echoes the row across the Muslim world over cartoons of the Prophet printed in a Danish newspaper - is an attack on their right to free speech.

Rafik Tagi, a journalist with the weekly Senet newspaper, and his editor Samir Sadagatoglu are charged with inciting racial hatred over the publication last year. If found guilty they could be jailed for up to five years.

Last year an Iranian cleric offered his house as a reward to anyone who killed the author of the article, saying he had insulted the Prophet.

Speaking at the opening of the trial in a district court in Azerbaijan's capital, Baku, Mr Tagi said: "There was nothing criminal in my article. I am absolutely not guilty."

Mr Sadagatoglu also protested his innocence, saying the prosecution was "political" and that he was under "arrest for thinking differently".

The lawyer for the two men, Isakhan Ashurov, said the prosecution violated articles of the European Convention on Human Rights which protect freedom of expression.

Azerbaijan is a mainly Muslim republic that until 1991 was part of the Soviet Union. Azerbaijan has a secular form of rule.

Cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad that were published in Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten in 2005 sparked a wave of protests by Muslims.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 20 2007, 05:23 PM) [snapback]409198[/snapback]</div>
    I would argue that people who do those things are, almost by definition, not "moderates."

3. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 20 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]409200[/snapback]</div>
    Every liberal argues that most Muslims are "moderates" .. yet I don't see them being outraged by the violence being committed in the name of their cave dwelling rapist/Prophet. In actuality, if a "moderate" Muslims speaks out against this, they are then branded to be a supporter of the "Infidels".

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They are all NUTS !!!

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, i don't think i've ever seen anyone on this board say that any of the individuals committing these types of acts were moderates. The closest i've seen is arguments that not all the Muslims are doing these things, and that there actually are some who live in peace... Imagine that.

6. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 21 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]409494[/snapback]</div>
    Sure SOME live in peace.. but I bet MOST (Middle Eastern, not the American ones) of them have at least experienced or seen the types of terror committed by the fundie Muslims..

The American Muslims I now are GLAD we're trying to fix the havoc in the Middle East.. liberals just cry about it because "war is bad".

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Mar 21 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]409624[/snapback]</div>
    Not SOME muslims live in peace. MOST do. It was someone on this board pointed that out to me. The rub is THIS:

If you have 98% of folks peaceful ... and you count all folks ... (and those folks are just the folks between 17-57 years of age) ... and folks equal over 700 MILLION ... heck, that leaves only 2% NON-peacefull folks:

Heck, thats only a measly 14 million non-peaceful FOLKS. Heck, we can live with that, right? B)