1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance Claims

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Priss, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Priss

Priss New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone had to place a claim on their Prime? If so, how did it go for you?

I have Nationwide and, unfortunately, had to place a claim after a snow plow truck passed me with his plow down on a gravel road. He sent a wave of rock over my car, damaging the entire front end. My entire grill had to be replaced because the rocks caused cracks and dents in the plastic. My hood, front fenders, and mirror caps were all stripped and repainted because of rock damage. Thankfully, no dents outside of the grill so it was a simple paint job. Windshield had multiple micro-cracks so that got replaced. My headlamps took some deep scrapes and scuffing. Insurance paid a grand total of $3500 to fix my wheelbaby, HOWEVER...they didn't want to replace my headlamps. They instead offered to have surface scuffs buffed out and waive my $500 deductible. The mechanic told me the headlamps would cost $3200 to replace. $3200!! I took the deductible waive and the mechanic graciously put up with me while we scoured my headlamps to ensure he did everything he could to make them nice again. Which he did. There's still some deeper scuffs, but overall I'm happy. The car looks brand new again. Anyone else have an insurance claim to share? I admit it. I cried when I realized the extent of the damage. Nationwide, and their provided mechanic, were amazing with this one!

pilotgrrl and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think there will be a lot of these stories down the road. prime front and rear ends have very expensive parts. congratulations on a good experience!(y)

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have visited a few junk yards on the internet and it is amazing how many Gen 4 Prii including Prime are already gone.

4. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    got hit in the right rear wheel just behind the hub. $16K worth of damage. Had 2K miles on the car and it took over 2 months to get fixed as they had to ship in parts from Japan.

Ultra silliness... the dealer local to where it go hit owns the auto-body shop that the insurance company told me to use. It's apparently a separate company although their name is the same (e.g. xx autobody vs xx Toyota). When the autobody company needed to work on the car they had to tow it to the dealer to have the battery disconnected, then towed back to the autobody shop, then towed back to the dealer to get it reconnected, then towed back to the body shop... then repeat when they realized they screwed something up). they billed the insurance company some $700 or so for towing and battery disconnect/reconnect services. You have to think that the shop could just pull the plug itself...

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Has Fraud written all over it. I wonder why our insurance rates are so high?

pilotgrrl likes this.
  6. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    apparently, talking with a shop local to me (they screwed a few things up on the repairs that had to be fixed, but since I live 900 miles away (or did) from where the accident occurred I had the fixes done locally), they get audited regularly and if they had tried to pull something like that they would have been in deep s***. He was flabbergasted that the insurance auditor allowed that to happen (apparently if they need to move the car to another shop they need to prove that no incestuous relationship exists).

pilotgrrl likes this.
  7. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Waiting for your information and updates?

8. SaraBBrown94

SaraBBrown94 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If state vehicles/workers damage your car, file a report. In PA you just have to file a claim against Penndot(PA's Dept of Transportation).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl likes this.