1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance Discount for Hybrids?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by texassalsa04, Feb 8, 2007.

1. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

I am a current Farmers Insurance customer and just received this in the mail today (see picture). Has anyone else on this board gotten the discount? I am calling my agent tomorrow...

Attached Files:

2. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Feb 8 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]387219[/snapback]</div>
    That's about time. So insurance rate with discount becomes on par with regulat cars. Currently I am paying more for $26,000 Prius MORE than for $51,000 Infiniti. Funny thing is that insurance quote for $60,000 BMW is still lower than Prius insurance rate. I have no idea why - my insurer is Allstate. But former Geico was not better either.

3. jesart

jesart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(texassalsa04 @ Feb 8 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]387219[/snapback]</div>

I just went to their website and did a quote. During the quote they ask you if you have an "alternative fuel vechicle". The quote was way too much than my current insurance. Right now I pay $1200 a year for my 2007 Prius and 2003 Chevy Malibu full coverage. I haven't found any other insurance company that beats that. They were asking for twice as much, even with the hybrid discount. :eek: If you live out in the West, I highly recommend Wawanesa Insurance: http://www.wawanesa.com/

4. filiberti

filiberti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I pay $700 / year with State Farm for my 2007 Prius. That's the lowest I have ever paid for
    car insurance in NY. I am 48yr so that helps too and safe driver rate but I never
    saw a discount for hybrids with State Farm ? BTW, State Farm also gives it's customers
    FREE Turbo Tax this year .

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< In Dallas TX area, with State Farm, I'm paying $870/yr, and that's with two cars. In addition, I have other coverage with the same Agent - Homeowners, Blanket Liability, Art, other added personal goods. We have Defensive Driving Course credit and no citations for over 8 years.

Maybe it's time I checked with other companies. Seems the highest rate is on Collision with $250 deductable, probably because of anticipated high repair costs [very true on a Prius]. I may need to increase the deductable.

6. scoot

scoot Member

I have 21st Century because they have always been towards the low end on price and towards the high end on customer satisfaction. There is nothing about hybrid discount in their system. FYI, Farmer's has consistently been rated poorly in customer satisfaction when making claims. I personally had a claim with them (other driver's insurance) and they were quite mickey-mouse about everything but I eventually got the money.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I stopped at AAA to get a new passport photo and asked if they offer a hybrid discount. That was in Oct/Nov and they said that they would in the early part of this year.

Thanks for reminding me to follow up.

8. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got my car this week and bought insurance last week. I checked with Farmers Insurance, and also with Travellers Insurance Travellers Hybrid Discount that both offer hybrid discounts. However, State Farm was still a bit lower without any such discount. I pay 620 every 6 months with 1000 dollar deductables and with a few discounts such as 'good student', 'safe driver', and low mileage (note: I am also under 25). Anyways, everyone should probably shop around for better rates every couple of years or so (you can get a dozen quotes in a single day if you have the time). I was quoted up to 1200 dollars with a couple companies. Anyways, hybrid discount or not, shop around a lot, and ask questions to anyone you know that works in auto repair (my father in law is an accountant at an auto-body shop and strongly discourages coverages from Geico and Progressive).

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarkMN @ Feb 9 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]387557[/snapback]</div>
    Why?

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got the Farmers Hybrid Discount when I bought my 2004 Prius. The insurance was less than the 2000 Mercury Villager that I traded in.