1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Insurance - What provider do you use for the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 8, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

I have the AutoClub and I am currently paying over $2,100 for my policy.
    I am only 24; however {knock on wood} I have never had any accidents or tickets - ever. My car is financed, but I have heard that it doesn't make that much of a difference. My current car is the 02 Camry XLE V6 with nav - I know they base the policy quote on the value of the car - but I know people who are paying less for BMW's that are financed - and my record is a clean slate.

Any suggestions?

Are you all paying high prices too? I'm miffed that I have no real discount for driving wihtout tickets or accidents. Oh, my coverage is 750,000 for comp and collision - with of course, uninsured motorist protection.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    State Farm, $337 for 6 months (due this month, yikes, better get some cash together). 2-car discount, accident-free discount, home insurance with State Farm discount, and some other discount like paid on time for over 10 years or something. Oh, never had a claim discount. I count myself VERY lucky in all those regards. Just as your mileage may vary! Love my Prius.

3. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Was paying $1000/yr for prius and a 1993 Ford for Myself and Wife...after putting teenage daughter and 20 yr old son on...insurance skyrockets to $3000/yr due to inexperienced and youthful drivers...even though kids are 4.0 gpa, and had drivers ed...told the boy, welcome to the world of male discrimination until you are 25 or older or get married first...(even though female accident is VERY close to male accident rate now days),they told me yrs ago when i was 25 or get married you would stay home with the wife and not drive as much...baloney, i drove more than ever after i got married just to work...btw...using central insurance out of ohio

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're mostly screwed by your age. Nothing for it but to wait.

Still $2100 does seem high so it might be worth some price shopping. As one data point, my middle-aged GF compared Geico and was quoted about 15% more than her current State Farm premium.

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Richard is right, part of it is your age, but the other part is that you live in Los Angeles. We have much higher rates than other parts of the country, let alone the state. I live in LA, too and have had 21st Century for years. I checked around for better rates after I got my Prius and 21st was better than even Mercury and Geico.

Good luck.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As has been stated - age is doing you in. However, if you are or were in college and maintained a B ( I think) average, that should get you a discount that carries through to your 25th BDay when you magically become more responsible. Generally jumping companies frequently is not a good idea. Long term relationship with a company, especially without claims, also gets you a discount.

And don't get married just to drop it, you'll be 25 soon and you don't get a double discount - 25 AND married :)

7. sally

sally New Member

We have AAA and pay about $700 every 6 months for Prius, 2004 F350 pickup & Fifth wheel trailer.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Ditto on 21st. They lowered our insurance $350+ compared to AAA and the policy coverage is actually better . . .and that $350 savings is on a two car , two driver policy without comprehensive coverage!

Dealing with their claims people was actually a pleasure. I’m sure the fact that full fault was on the other driver didn’t hurt . . . but lack of fault didn’t make it a pleasure to work with AAA claims people when a city garbage truck knocked a large branch onto my parked car. The city admitted full responsibility, but AAA said it was my responsibility to pay the deductible - and actually made me write them a check - and then fought me on asking the city to reimburse me! They also tried to force me into a compact rental, even though the city said to rent a comparable car, and I was putting it on my credit card to boot!

Besides that, 21st is giving a Prius away!!!!

http://lp.21st.com/sweepstakes/

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Originally our family was signed up with Farmers. When i was forced to get full coverage, Farmers wanted to charge me 5,000 for six months. I'm 20 (turning 21 in November) and i had two tickets last year. One for speeding, one for reckless driving ( changing lanes without a signal ) However, i never change a lane without using my signal.. my old cars signals just sucked. So, i changed to 21'st Century. They gave me the lowest rate. 1486 for 6 months. Still sucks.. but i need my insurance. Eastwood might beat them eventually. They keep sending their little pieces in the mail with new quotes. They keep getting lower and lower. Not close enough though. I'm required full coverage because i'm financing, and Wells Fargo said i have to have it. Thanks Well Fargo.. i'm giving you guys my loan money.. help me with my insurance.. hehe :mrgreen:

10. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

Back in the day when GEICO meant Government Employees Insurance CO they were cheaper than anybody else. Nobody could touch them. Now they spend way too much for adverting and have to make a profit and they are not anywhere near the cheapest. I switched to Progressive a few years ago and saved a bundle. I was told by my dealer last week that my 2004 Tidelan BC is in port and I will be picking it up soon. Last night I got a quote to replace my 1998 Subaru with the Prius, keeping the same coverages. The Prius was $27 more for six monts. The price quoted was $289.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with State farm as well. Don't know my rates, but I found them rather competitive when combined with the multi-car and multi-line discounts, as well as the customer loyalty discount I just started earning.

-Rick

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Reckless Driving, in violation of California Vehicle Code Section 23103 is not a mere ticket. It is a full fledged misdemeanor punishable by jail time (and is worth two points on your driving record).

[align=justify:ca727461ae]23103. (a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
    (B) Any person who drives any vehicle in any offstreet parking facility, as defined in subdivision © of Section 12500, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of reckless driving.
    © Persons convicted of the offense of reckless driving shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days nor more than 90 days or by a fine of not less than one hundred forty-five dollars ($145) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment, except as provided in Section 23104.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE[/align:ca727461ae]

13. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We're with State Farm too... pay $83 for the Prius* and $35 for the 1951 Ford**... pay monthly and have full coverage on both... get the multi-car.. non-smoker (for me)... no wrecks... home insurance discounts... I guess it's a deal... the Prius cost of the coverage was only $100 more than my 1995 Dodge Dakota..

* MSRP is somewhere around $26,000
    ** replacement value $15,000..hahaha (they'll say, "it's just an old truck")

Bob

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have State Farm. I like them because they pay claims without a fuss. Some companies will sell you a cheaper policy, and then move heaven and Earth to avoid paying a claim, so what's the point of having insurance if you cannot collect?

I pay $1132 per year. That includes $50 deductible and 250,000/500,000 on bodily injury liabilities. It also includes $6 for emergency road service, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than AAA.

I think that includes discounts for accident-free and for having other insurance policies with them.

15. Dilbert

Dilbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Insurance

We pay $418 every six months with American Express (Costco Executive Membership). We have two cars, good driving records, but high coverage (300/100) so we can get a liability umbrella policy on top. It is very hard to compare, because the insurance companies make it that way, but I have always gotten good rates with the Costco affiliated insurance company.

16. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I have (had) Farmers but they have twice canceled my insurance on my new Prius because of screw ups by the local "agent". It is a major "shaggy dog story" I will not boor you with it, but I am beyond angry. I have 5 cars with them including my Prius. One will be coming off in a month my daughter is on her own. I am told I have insurance for my Prius as of this afternoon. I will be watching the comments here. I am in the insurance commissioners office tomorrow morning.

17. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

unfortunately, while info from others around the country may give you an idea of who is happy with their insurance company, it probably won't be much help in shopping for rates. you really need to speak to just folks from your area.

insurance is regulated state by state. companies often make decisions based on how favorable the laws are in a given state, as to whether they want to be very competitive or not in their pricing.

so state farm, or any other named company, may be very hot in colorado (just to pick a random place) but not where you are.

there's no substitute for shopping around with reputable carriers and agents.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with what aarons12 says about rates. But don't stop there. Also check the company's reputation for paying claims. What good are low rates if you have to take the company to court to collect on a claim?

19. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree. State Farm sucks here. Refuse to pay my claims and are ripping me off for over $2k / 6 months.

20. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Geez Danny, sounds like YOU should have started this thread rather than macreative! I hope your birthday is coming up fast. Now that you have a house, who is carrying that insurance? See if you can find a company with a good combined plan.