1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intake Manifold bolts sheared off when re-installing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by citamlli417, Apr 13, 2023.

1. citamlli417

citamlli417 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi guys,

I just did the EGR cleaning on my prius but now when i'm trying to reinstall the intake manifold, i had 2 bolts shear off.

The bolts i'm speaking about in particular are on the intake manifold holes themselves (the 2 nuts, and 3 bolts to connect it to the block). They are breaking when I am trying to torque them down to 20 ft lbs. I just ordered a couple replacements from Toyota. Thank god they didn't get stuck in the hole, I was about to thread them out w/ a needle nose plier.

My question is, what order should I reinstall this stuff. I'm trying to re-install it with the EGR pipe still attached to the manifold and it kind of doesn't align up well with the EGR side (the part with the clipped on metal black gasket). Should I connect the EGR pipe first and then try installing the manifold? Or should I just loosen both sides so it kind of lines up better?

I guess the better question is, after EGR is installed with EGR pipe NOT attached, what order should i re-install everything so it all lines up better?

When I ordered the new bolts they had a different part number, which leads me to think this is common and they updated those bolts?

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You should be able to make all that stuff line up with the bolts loose and then you slowly rotatingly as in a different bulbs every few turns pull everything down and then if you're a torque type person you get out your torque wrench and you set the clicker and then do it carefully not use a big half inch torque wrench to be trying to torque in 6 mm bolts not really a good thing. Where are the pipes lining up to the EGR valve there and whatnot there's a tool called the lady slipper or a tapered bar you stick it in the things that are supposed to line up there the holes and it will pull the flanges to into alignment while you put the bottom bolt in or vice versa vice grips will also help hold stuff like this if it's really seeming to be that much of an issue.