1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intalled OEM EV switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NiMHpwr, Nov 6, 2004.

1. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I just installed an OEM EV switch today. I got it from japanparts.com with the harness, and it came in about a week ago. I was a bit reluctant to install it because of all the talk about voiding the warranty plus I didn't want to perform open heart surgery on my new baby so soon without some good contemplation. But thanks to all the other EV mod threads I felt pretty comfortable and my worries about the warranty have been mostly alleviated. Thanks to everyone who gave their input especially Evan and Rick for their articles in the knowledge base. It was really easy. I even did everything without a soldering iron by pressing the wire for the HV ECU into the clip from the flasher plug in the steering column. To make sure the little knives in the clip cut through the insulation I tested the resistance between the clip and the other end of the wire and got practically none so it worked fine. Once I was done and had everything all snapped back into place I took the car for a spin around the block. I tried the EV swith and nothing happened so I came back and found out that when I tested the resistance for the clip I pushed back the connector in the harness so it did not make contact. :oops: Anyway it was an easy fix and I was glad too because I was starting to wonder if Toyota had changed something in the 05. To make a long story short the EV button works great and I am happy to have it.

Also I was amazed at how easily the dash came apart and went back together so I don't think I will have any problem installing the XM radio kit when it comes in next week. I ordered it from Metro Toyota in Cleveland, OH www.metrotpn.com the internet sales guy, Eddie, gave me a great deal $270 plus free shipping and no tax. That saved me about $35 if I had ordered it here in CA because of tax. Plus the parts and service guys in Sunnyvale aren't any help and refuse to say anything that will work in the Prius does. Another thanks to Evan for providing that link.

I have some pics of the install if anyone is interested.

Justin

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, please do post them. Maybe in your photo album with a link from this thread. If I do an EV install, I'd like the OEM switch as well.

3. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Here are the some of the pics of the install:

Justin

4. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Here are the rest of the Pics:

Jusitn

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR EV!!!!

With my aviation electronics background, I know that installing the OEM EV switch to specs will not be a problem . . . if only I could find said switch on the Japan Parts web site. I look under Toyota, but see no Prius. Help and Thanks.

6. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Actually I had the same problem. If you email them for a quote for "04/05 Toyota Prius OEM EV switch and harness" they will respond back in a day or two and then you can use that quote number when filling out the form on their secure purchase page. It was really easy after that and I think you could probably get any other unlisted parts the same way.

Check out this page on their site.

http://www.japanparts.com/Howtoorder.htm

Justin

7. smtrader

smtrader Member

Great pictures, Justin!

I've noticed that EV switch for sale on ebay a few times. Don't know how the cost compares.

Justin...next time I'm in SJ, can I swing by to check out the switch...looks so nice in the picture!! Maybe you can give me some pointers if I ever get enough nerves to mess with my baby!

Brian

8. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Brian,

No problem just send me a private message when you are about to come and I will give you some contact info.

Justin

9. DanH

DanH New Member

If I see that right (thanks to the excellent detail in your pix) the crimp doesn't look quite right to me. The insulation should be stripped back to where just the back part of the crimp crimps the insulation. The rest of the crimp then crimps on the bare wire. If you have trouble in the future, you might want to redo the crimp.

10. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

Yes you do see it right. The insulation goes all the way to where the pin would fully insert. If you look closely at the first picture of the wiring harness from the steering column you can see this is how the wire should be crimped in. This is because there are little knives in the crimp that slice through the insulation. It was not entirely easy to push it in but I got a resistance reading of 0.5 ohms. In comparison if you touch the leads of the ohm meter together you get 0.2 ohms. This tells me it is a pretty good connection with practically no resistance. Many other people solder the wire in, but I was trying for a more oem kind of look.

Justin

11. smtrader

smtrader Member

Thanks, Justin. I may be heading up to the Bay area some time in late December. How do I find your email address?

Brian

12. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I will send you a private message check the link at the top of the page next to where the log out link is.

Justin

13. mary2al

mary2al Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OEM EV switch VS costal

Is there any functional difference between this OEM switch and the Costal wiring that utilizes the cruise control switch?

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: OEM EV switch VS costal

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mary2al\";p=\"50795)</div>
    No, they do the same thing.

Read This Article for more info about what's involved with the EV mod.

15. norman

norman New Member

Re: Intalled OEM EV switch (Human natuire is a funny thing)

Here in Oz, we have the EV button. But I rarely use it.

I am always in stealth mode driving around the parking lot etc anyway, so I never really need it.

I only engage it now and then to demonstrate to all of my "friends", ( and he has seen it now ;-)

We always want what someone says we can't have. I want fuel at < $2 a gallon (not $3.30US like it is here).

Maybe now that our 2 countries have a bilateral trade agreement, we might see fuel prices liberated and perhaps the embargo on EV switches will be "lifted" as well. We can only hope ;-)

16. silly

silly Junior Member

I tried to order the EV Switch and harness from japanparts.com but they can't seem to find the part number for the harness. Do you have the part numbers of what they sent? Thanks.

Bill

17. Ms. Piggy

Ms. Piggy New Member

Before pursuing that EV switch, you might want to read this post:
    EV Switch?

18. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I don't have the quote information any more, but I just went to japanparts.com and they have a new page for Prius parts and accessories. Check out this link JapanParts Prius Page then click on the Interiors - others link and you can buy the EV switch and harness. Good Luck!

Justin

19. silly

silly Junior Member

On the japanparts.com site it shows the EV Switch and a Housing (part number 90980-10964). It doesn't seem that this housing (only $3+) could be the wiring harness.

What do you think of the Toyota policy of not covering the car under warranty if you have the EV mod?

20. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I know that the harness I got from them was oem. I took another look at the site and they now have the ev switch and harness priced together. Also the harness does not come with any wiring or terminal clips. It is just the plastic housing. This might explain the price.

Justin