1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Integrated iPod use while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mcbean, Mar 19, 2008.

1. mcbean

mcbean New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had an iPod integration kit installed in my 2008 Prius by the dealer at purchase, so I don't know the brand. Everything works well except when I'm driving. When I am not at a complete stop, file names disappear from the screen, leaving just blank areas. I assume this is a safety measure; however, my XM Radio and FM channels are all listed when I'm driving. Why can't I see the iPod playlist files while moving? It sort of takes the fun out of car trips if I have to pull over every time I want to find a new playlist. Is there an override for this or is it user error?

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Without knowing the brand of iPod kit, it's hard to be specific. I doubt it's user error, probably the manufacturer just being overly cautious to avoid litigation if you have an accident trying to select the playlist.

Welcome to PriusChat!

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is a speed sensor wire that, when cut, will allow full use of radio and phone. Since you lose the 5-minute bars on the Consumption screen and the turning wheels on the Energy screen it's best to install a switch and turn it to off (it makes the Prius think it's stopped) when you (or rather your passenger) needs the information, then switch back on when done.

4. mcbean

mcbean New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh. I really like the idea of the switch since I don't want to miss the mpg bars. (I actually stare at those more than the audio system.) More money, but it sounds like it's worth it. I wonder if the installer connected the wire directly to the iPod integrator since it doesn't seem to affect the other audio components? I'll check with my Toyota dealer.

5. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The wire is standard for the audio; for example, you can't read a message on an FM station while moving. You can go to Prius Speed Wire to see what is involved. It's pretty quick and doesn't cost much. I used a push-on/push-off button, but others have installed a magnetic switch, which operates when a compartment door is opened.

6. mcbean

mcbean New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is this something that can be done at a shop someplace or by the dealer? I looked at the instructions but, well, I don't want to say that I'm a girl or anything, but I am. I do have a degree in Physics, but messing with car stuff is not my favorite thing. I'm sure I could cut the wire, but after that, it's a crap shoot.

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It probably can be done at any stereo shop; I don't think the dealer would be willing to do that.