1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jamesrom, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jamesrom

jamesrom In london

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi

I'm looking forward to getting my Prius T-Spirit in under 2 weeks and wondered how other drivers find the Intelligent Parking Assistance feature (IPA)?

It looks good on some of the demo videos but wondered how well it worked in real life?

Many Thanks

2. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The IPA comes with a rear view camera which is very useful. As for it parking its self, it is good for showing off but a waste of time in practice. I estimate that it takes 10x longer to park with the assist than manually.

3. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There go the Euros tweaking those of us who cannot get IPA. :mad:

4. Jon the Chief

Jon the Chief Jon the Chief

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have had my T Spirit less then a week. The view from the camera
    is oddly distorted, so you need to use your "Mk one eyeball" to get a clear idea of what is going on.

The guide lines that show the space the car will fit into, and the lines that bend when you turn the steering wheel to predict the path are excellent.

I have had several tries at getting the full assist system to work, and as Hobbs says it seems a waste of time, but I will keep trying for a while longer to see if I can get the knack of using it before I give up on it.

On the whole I would say the camera part is well worth having.

Jon the Chief

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IPA would be nice to have just to show off the technology but I think that feature would be of no use to me. I would only use it to say "Look at what my car can do! :p " Unfortunately its not available here in the USA for the Prius. :mad:

Check out this video of the Lexus IPA for a real life demo. :D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2848525188093555977

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well it is an assist so it won't work in all situations.

But it's always fun to let the car park for you back at home into the garage.

7. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    yeah i think the popularity of the 6 disc cd changer + jbl package is probably one of the reasons why IPA isnt available in the United States/Canada. in the uk you can't
    have IPA and the multi disc changer in the same car

the other reason is because we are sue happy

8. Jon the Chief

Jon the Chief Jon the Chief

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry but my book says I have a 6 disc changer and IPA, I haven't had time to try out my CD player but it seems like the one in the book.

Jon the Chief

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Has anyone checked to see if IPA is on all Prius like EV mode is?

What is extra on an IPA equiped Prius? Is it just an extra switch on the dash, and a wire to a standard computer? Or is there an extra computer to manage it?

10. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when i went to the uk buld your prius page, before i posted that message there was no mention of the IPA system being installed with the multidisc changer, when i selected single disc player, the IPA became magically available and listed

ive heard it a couple times that the single disc player holds the IPA system perhaps you are lucky? heh

reference 1) http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Prius-Europe/message/2834

11. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a master switch on the dash to enable / disable it. To activate it you put the car into reverse press the touch screen with some options. You then take your hands of the wheel and let it hit other cars saving you the hassle of doing it your self. (Joking aside you really do have to keep your eye on everything it is doing.)

I have both the 6 disc CD and the IPA.

The IPA and rear view camer come bundled together as an optional extra. You can't get one without the other.

12. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i thought the rear camera was just a gimmick to silence critics of the 2 rear window design with the spoiler in b/t.

i wouldn't use it to park, i'd do the parking myself and then look at the camera to see how close I was to the car behind me or the wall.
    That being said, wouldn't rear parking sensors with the beeps work better than a camera?

has anyone actually seen a LS460 park itself??

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends. I prefer a camera vs. beeping. I had the sensors, I'd turn off the beeps and just use the "red/yellow/green" lights mounted on the roof.

Yep. I was in the passenger seat (salesman wouldn't let me do it on my own...:rolleyes: took him a few tries to get it right)

14. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A