1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Intentionally leaving prius on (AC on), while away???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Apr 24, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

Okay, I didn't know where to put this... I just picked up my prius today (sorry! I'm a newb!).

I have a dog, and I was wondering what you guys think about me leaving the dog in the car with the AC running. The car would be locked obviously, but the car would be on. I have the VIP security system, but I think the alarm is disabled when the car is on.

Should I be worried about this? Technically, someone can break the window and drive off, right? Or would they not because without the key you can't really turn the car back on once you accidently turn it off.

My dog is small, so he's in no way capable of scaring off anyone.

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    busyrosy

I do it all the time for my 80lb boxer.

Leave the Prius with A/C on, lock the doors with the mechanical key and I'm off. Sure it hurts my MPG, but my dog loves her weekend shopping trips with "Daddy" and even a few minutes in a locked car here in South Florida can be a killer. I leave an index card with "Air Conditioner Is On" in my window to keep any do-gooders from asking the Sheriff to "rescue" Mitzi while I'm away.

I've never left her alone for more than a half-hour, but I've left my Prius on for hours at a time to supply electricity at my office after hurricane Wilma.

3. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    That's good to know that the mechanical key works for that. I tried locking the door with the remote, but it won't when the car is still on.

4. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You let a dog in your car?

5. taaustin

taaustin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nmrickie @ Apr 24 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]244362[/snapback]</div>
    EASY fix for the remote not working

1. Leave car running

2. DOUBLE & TRIPLE check to be sure the key fob is in your posession

3. Roll down driver's side window

4. Get out of car

5. Reach in window and hit the lock button

6. Hit the window-up button (auto will fully raise window)

7. Quickly remove your hand

8. When you return use the metal key to unlock driver's door

Ta Da!

(p.s. I love the "AC-On sign idea!)

6. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

thanks for the tip Vincent! I didn't realize that the car doesn't lock if it's on.

I'm still a little weary about theft, so I guess I'll only practice the option for short trips in safe neighborhoods.

7. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vincent @ Apr 24 2006, 05:57 AM) [snapback]244188[/snapback]</div>
    You've used the CAR as a GENERATOR?

Ok, I'm game...you have to tell me know how you did this? What were you able to run?

8. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I already have a power inverter (you plug it into the cigarette jack, which converts it from DC to AC) that I got for $20 ish. I didn't try it on my prius yet, but I imagine I can plug in my laptop or charge my cell phone. I wonder if I can hook up a power strip and hook up multiple stuff? Maybe that'll ruin my battery though..? I'm not sure.

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if the car is on, it shouldn't hurt anything since the 12v recharges off of the hybrid battery and that from the engine. it has it's limits though. 100 amps i believe? limited by the inverter... if i recall right.

10. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid @ Apr 24 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]244572[/snapback]</div>
    I've run a 1,250 watt inverter hooked directly to the 12v battery regularly and for several hours at a time.

11. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds fine... but if you max your inverter... two things might happens... the fuse on the car or your inverter might blow...

i'm taking this by 12V line * 100 amp max = 1200 watt max

but then again.. 100 amp is the "load limit" to the inverter.. so that's running at 250v? but the whole equation is off when you start running hybrid power. Just don't plug in any table saws :) lol.

12. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So it is possible to take the key out of the car and leave the car on? Could someone clearify, please?

13. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah. you can take the key and someone can drive off to.. even if it's in part. It's smart.. but not that smart... mainly for safety reasons (battery dies on the highway).... so you take the key.. lock the door by hand.. (drivers).. which.. you sit in the car.. lock all doors while the car is on. then open your door and lock it with the silver key.. or.. auto your window down... reach in and lock it.. then audo it up.. that's what i did when i used to deliver frosted cookies... www.cookiesbydesign.com a pain to transport...

on yeah.. you have to have SS/SE