1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interested in Fostering a Bichon Frise'?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Freedom, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interested in Fostering a Bichon Frise'? DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE

I volunteer with a bichon frise' rescue. We are in need of more volunteers to foster a dog in transition.

Send me a PM if you wish more information.

Does not matter where you live. All the details are 2 posts down. Please scroll down and check it out!

[​IMG]

Above are my 4 bichons, in a photo taken Sept 6th of this year. Ozzy, on the far left, died last week, Nov 13, he was "at least 15." The others are Lacey age 6, Sugar age 11 and Marlin age 10.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They look darling. Unfortunately I think fostering from California isn't very practical.

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know someone that has 3 of them. Very good looking dogs. Unfortunately, like Godiva....California is not practical

4. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does not matter what state you are IN!!!!

We are a nation wide rescue. We have over 32 dogs who need to be placed in foster homes NOW! The weather is colling off, and once the temps are below 30 degrees, we won't be able to fly them to you.

Small Paws Rescue is the largest bichon rescue in the country. This year, we are celebrating our 10th year helping bichons and bichon mixes. We assist more than 600 bichons PER YEAR. Many of our dogs are rescued from puppy mills; some are from backyard breeders; and some are turned in by owners who can no longer care for their dogs. We currently have over 150 bichons in foster homes across the country. We have approximately 25 dogs waiting for new foster homes!

Small Paws Rescue is based in Oklahoma, with volunteers in all 50 states. I have fostered in the past, but currently I do
    not foster as I have 3 bichons of my own. (I had 4, dear Ozzy died Nov 13, 2008 at age 15 +) I do help with transport, fund
    raising, and so forth.

Bichons: the bichon is a small fluffy white companion dog. They want to be with their human. They are generally 12 to 15 pounds, though some are outside of that range. You can learn more about the breed here:
    BICHON FRISE characterisitics

TO ADOPT: (TO FOSTER, see below)
    To adopt, please go to our web site:
    Small Paws® Rescue

Take a look around. You can see our foster dogs waiting for adoption, by
    clicking on Dogs for Adoption, in the Menu listed on the LEFT.

For dogs up through age 6, the fee is $150. For dogs age 7 and older, the
    adoption fee is $75. All dogs are spayed or neutered and up to date on all
    shots. If the dog you want to adopt is in another state, you also pay for the flight (about $180) the flight crate ($40) and the flight health certificate ($40). All these fees are on the web site. My Sugar flew in to T F Green from her foster home in Ohio, she was 9.5 years old. She flew in here Dec 9, 2006. What a love!

Also: we do NOT separate bonded pairs. You will see several bonds pairs on the web site. Those, you adopt both dogs for ONE adoption fee. This is so we can keep them together.

Also: Animal Planet has done several stories on our rescue group! The most recent one just aired on Nov 1, on their new series, DOGS 101. I helped gather a group of 32 bichons for filming, this past July! We had our own little Bichon Bash at Bishop Feehan High, in one of their ball fields, and the filming was done there. You can watch the 10 minute video here:
    Dogs 101, Dog Breed Video : Animal Planet
    (There are 5 breed videos, you may have to click on BICHON to watch ours.)

TO FOSTER:
    We will fly a foster dog to you; you pick up your foster at the airport located nearest to you. During the time the foster is living in your home, we pay for all vet needs, and we pay for the groomer every 9 weeks. You provide, food, toys and love. If your foster dog is a puppy mill rescue, we have counselors who will work with you on how to help socialize the dog. (Puppy mill rescues must have another, socialized dog already living in the home.)

We handle the posting of adoption, do all the initial screening and primary
    interview of applicants. If all that passes, then you have interview the
    applicants and you have the say in whether or not the foster dog can be placed.

Please feel free to browse our web site at
    Small Paws® Rescue.

The menu is on the left, and you can click on FOSTER HOME INFORMATION to complete the application and submit it for approval.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, as well. I will do my best to answer any concerns you may have.

Fostering these dogs is a wonderful experience, as you watch them blossom and become the true bichons they were meant to be!
    Sandie

5. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry. Our "no vacancy" sign is still up. I've tried to remove it but my husband has won the battle for now.

6. Dipena

Dipena Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I hear you. I'd get another dog in a heartbeat, but my husband says no. I'm just waiting for him to die or divorice me so I can get some more pets, lol.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ooo. I'm going to have to pass. A little too high maintenance re: coat and brushing. And I am not home during the day; I work.

I do have a fenced in yard and training is no problem. But I don't think I'm home enough for a Bischon to be truly happy. But I think after I retire fostering will be just the thing for me as I'll nothing but time to comb and train and nuzzle.

8. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Let me just toss www.petfinder.com in the ring. I've been fostering my local SPCA for a number of years now and we also post our dogs on petfinder.com.

Many other rescues also cross-post available dogs on petfinder.com... so it's easy to search even breed-specific dogs in your zip code to see what is available.

Our group is pretty well organized... there's volunteer work (even fostering) for those who can only offer an overnight or two occasionally, or even cover for vacations. Seems like we never have enough foster homes.

9. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, our dogs are all up on Petfinder. We have over 100 dogs in foster care across the country at this time, waiting to be adopted.