1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interested in joining or starting a local Prius Club?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Danny, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now that more and more Prii are hitting the streets, it's time to start creating local Prius clubs that can facilitate Local Meets, Rallys, & local discussion.

PriusChat would like to sponsor every local Prius club in the country.

Through our sponsorship, local clubs will be provided with their very own forum on PriusChat, webspace in the form of either http://clubname.priuschat.com or http://priuschat.com/clubname (haven't decided the best way to do it yet), and a Club email address.

This will save the local clubs from having to use something like Yahoo Groups due to lack of funds. Centralizing the local clubs on PriusChat is the best way to maximize the number of people becoming active in your local Prius Club.

So, if you are interested in being the Founder/Moderator of your local area's club, please contact me with your interest. Interested members won't need any web development experience or anything like that, just a desire to create a special bond with your fellow Prius owners.

Local Club Founders will have special ranks (For Example, "SoCal Club Founder") and be elevated to moderator in their respective Local Club Forum.

Questions??? Let 'em fly!

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quote from Danny in another thread.
    “The next release of PriusChat will have a Local Club section broken up by geography - Countries, then Regions, then States, then Cities if applicable (LA, for example). My hope is to have folks designate a Local Club representative or "Chairman" to be a liason between PriusChat and the local club, help with organizing locations & times, coordinating with me to obtain some PriusChat goodies to pass out, etc

We can really create a strong nation/worldwide community if we put a little effort into itâ€

Danny,
    Glad to see this feature will be coming soon. Meetup is too restrictive, as you have to sign in with your Zip Code and that restricts you to their preset geographic area, this does not allow a regional club.

3. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yee Hah!! Local Clubs...that calls for a flurry of emoticons from Mybrid! :lol:

Here come the questions...

Let's hear from some moderators..how has being a moderator for PC changed your life? What does such a job involve?

Do think having a local forum be a drain on the master PC group or truly be supplemental and specific to local issues and events? I guess that would be part of the job of the moderator wouldn't it?

I've never been elevated before..is that like being levitated? If you're bonded with other Prius fans does that mean you're all elevated? :wink:

Seriously, though, you can put my name in the hat for a Northern VA or DC Metro group but I'd give the right of first refusal to Stu since he managed to pull off the first gathering even if only 3 Prii showed up.

Kudos to Danny for making it happen!

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll let the other mods tackle your "work-load" question, but what I have in mind is for the local club forums to be specific to local issues such as "Where is everyone in San Diego having their SC40D work done?" or "Group installation of mudflaps this Sunday" or EV Button installations, etc. All other Prius-specific issues/discussion should stay in the main forums.

These forums will be tucked away at the bottom of the site where this thread is under "Local Clubs", so hopefully folks won't go there first to post their Prius-specific threads.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Around here it doesn't involve much. I spend way too much time online as it is, and I'd be hanging out at PC anyway, so the very rare tasks that need to be done as a mod. It's a well behaved group. About all that I ever have to do is go in and delete duplicate posts, uncheck the 'Disable BBCode' that people tend to do even when they want to use the BBCode, and, lately, try to tone down the few tangential over reactive folks. Danny does all the "arm breaking" (i.e. locking threads, sending warnings, bannings, etc)

Moderating a single small forum such as a local group/club will involve little or nothing on your part other than maybe stiring up some discussions and opening dialogs to get gatherings together and stuff.

I don't think it will be a drain at all. I would hope/think that any particularly interesting/informative posts that develop within a local forum would be shared with the larger group as well. I think, for the most part, people will gravitate to the main forums.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny,
    This would be another good reason to implement the ability to select which "Unread Posts" show up when people hit that button. I WANT to see my local club's unread posts, but could care less for, say....S. Carolina's club! 8)

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very good point! I'll just have to PM you when I post in the S. Carolina forum that the Gamecocks beat the Razorbacks!

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, see your 'Cocks made it to the CWS too....Hogs were picked to finish last in the SEC West....think anyone's still underestimating them? :bootyshake:

9. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How would the Calendar feature work with local groups? As we grow I can imagine the calendar might grow cluttered. Perhaps if each local club corresponded to a user group one could sign up for local clubs and the associated calendars as a part of their profile. I might be interested in what's going on in DC, MD, or even WV, PA, or DE. If I know I will be travelling for business or pleasure I might want to take a peek and see if something interesting is happening somewhere else temporarily so I'd want to be able to turn it on and off.

P.S. If nobody else bites I'll sign up for a NOVA (Northern Virginia) club/forum that will most certainly be open to anyone willing to drive here. The goal as the base of support grows would be to spin off additional local clubs.

10. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i think i will just continue in my role as comic relief :D

11. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

If I start a local club, do I get a free Prius?

12. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But I think one of the requirements for that titles should be that you're funny.... :mrgreen:

15. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ooooooh that was harsh Evan. Comedy isn't pretty.

16. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

no problem evan. i'm just gonna let empress dianne handle you...

17. olends

olends New Member

Upstate NY

is having a Prius a Requirement of a group owner. i wont have a prius for years unless i hit the lotto. but i am willing to show up anywhere from albany to lake george.

the photo potential at the "great escape" are enormous.

so i volunteer if i can

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, if it's not a requirement to run the site, then it shouldn't be a requirement to found a local club.

How about "Upstate New York", olends?

19. frbill

frbill New Member

I would love to get a group started here in South Central IL. Let me know how I can help accelerate the process.

Peace,

Fr. Bill

20. olends

olends New Member

I'll run the upstate chapter. But maybe you better define it better. To some people upstate is anything that is not NYC.
    Perhaps you could call it the capital district ny group.
    .. Or atleast mention that this upstate is near albany.