1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting (?) consumption screen bug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pfile, Jan 14, 2006.

1. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was driving in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway today, and i managed to go a full 5 minutes on battery power only. for some reason the computer decided that i had 0mpg for that 5 minutes instead of "100".

no big deal i guess, but has this happened to anyone else?

[attachmentid=1799]

2. benighted

benighted New Member

Were you stopped for a full 5 minutes in traffic?

3. benighted

benighted New Member

Is that an 06? Those high res fonts look nice.

4. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes it is an 06.

no i wasnt stopped for 5 minutes, i was moving the whole time, between 0 and 15mph or so. definitely a bug in the fuel consumption program...

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe the problem experienced here can be explained by scrutinizing the datestamp of the photo.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would it be because the computer just converts the metric FE (L/100km) to Imperial(MPG)? I'm in Canada so the better the fuel economy, the shorter the bar on the graph. When I move on nothing but electric for 5 min, I will get a blank as shown on that picture.

7. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, could be. OUT DEMONS OUT, BEGONE! :lol:

8. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    !!!! you know what, i totally forgot that i was playing with the MPH/KPH switch somewhere around that time. i didnt leave it on KPH but i wonder if having toggled it, the computer has a bug where it just got sticky in KPH mode.

in the HCH, everything switches to metric, including the instantaneous fuel milage bar and the averages. in the prius, the speedometer went to kph but the consumption screen stays in MPG. but i bet somewhere deep in the computer it was thinking metric briefly, and it stuck.

i'm not sure that it was during that interval that i had toggled that switch, though.

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, also, could it be that the computer just thinks in consumption over a given distance (L/100km) instead of distance travelled with a given amount of fuel (MPG); For an imperial measurement, the computer would just convert it's metric answer to imperial? I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud :)

10. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that's possible too. but given that when its running on batteries, the MPG is infinite (or the L/KM is zero) i would have figured that they don't try to divide by zero anywhere. for instance they report infinite MPG as 100 on the instantaneous display, instead of generating a floating point error :)

so if it came up with 0 in internal L/KM units, you'd think it would display 100 on the bar graph, not 0. i think probably it did get confused because i was playing with the switch.

11. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

SORRY but just joined and haven't figured out how to start a new topic. My problem is understanding the Consumption screen. I've read the manual which told me next to nothing. Can someone direct me to a linkl that discusses this screen and can answer my questions...like what is it telling me and how.

Thanks all Happy trarils
    Roger3125

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Roger, you can go to the search screen and search on MFD. Also perhaps search on the words "Consumption" and "Energy" or perhaps "screen". A lot of people have posted a lot of stuff about the MFD so you might be reading for a while.

And I'm not trying to cause a stink or nothin' but didn't you start the topics, "Prius trunk container" and "2006 Prius tax rebate"? If you have a specific question, go to the appropriate forum and click the "New Topic" button. That should have been what you did to start those other topics.

13. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

I figured so but when I did a search on "consumption" or "consumption screen" I could find nothing. As for the multi listings, I'm sorry..I'm a newbie to the forum and tried my best to find "New Topic" but no go. Its kind of a challenge getting used to a new car and a new forum at the same time. Bear with me soon enough I'll be one of the boys

Nice to meet you Tony

14. ThunderJon

ThunderJon New Member

This same thing happened to me, moved about 200 feet in traffic on 101 in 5 minutes... missing bar.

15. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    the only data it has to work with is MPH and l/min of fuel (and time), so it basically takes MPH/(fuel used per minute). With all the unit conversions, of course. It also follows two rules:
    1. any MPH divided by zero is effectively 100MPG (it actually tracks the higher numbers, but only displays up to 99.9)
    2. except 0/anything is 0.

It uses that to report 0/0 = 0 = a blank bar. I ONLY get that blank bar when stopped for 5 minutes. There is a certain amount of movement allowed that doesn't really tick over the meter (200 feet, for example)