1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Cyclical Surging Under Hard Acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwalkhouse, Dec 17, 2004.

1. bwalkhouse

bwalkhouse New Member

Yesterday and today I had occasion to require rapid acceleration from my Prius shortly after starting up.

The engine note remained steady, but I could feel a definite cyclical surging in the output from the PSD, with a noticeable pulse and then a lag every couple seconds.

Has anyone else noticed this?

BTW acceleration is excellent in the Prius 8), I ended up speeding while making my erstwhile observations!! Luckily no radar was observing me!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The entrance/exit from my work parking lot is on the inside of a curve. Therefore, both lanes of traffic are approaching from acute angles. If I'm the vertical line in a capital "T" the cross traffic isn't perpendicular, but rather more like a rounded carot ^. Visibility is tough and when you see an opening, you take it.

Needless to say, I punch it. And have experienced similar surges and lunging. I first wrote it off as the tires slipping and power redistribution, but have since experienced it on dry pavement as well. I suppose Priapus is trying to tell me that I'm accelerating too hard, but I am trying to avoid his telling me that my side airbag has just deployed.