1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting experience with tire gauges

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NYPrius1, Aug 11, 2007.

1. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I picked up a digital tire gauge at auto zone. (Made By Slime)
    Checked all my tires and they all read 37 psi.

So I got out the air compressor to inflate them to 42/40. The Air Compressor had 4 different readings on the tires. So I got out the Slime Digital and redid the check.

Guess what, 4 different readings.

So I go back to Auto Zone and return the Slime and buy 1 pencil type tire gauge.

In the parking lot I check the tires. All are between 35 and 38. So get home get the air compressor out but check the pressure again before putting in air, I get 4 different readings.

So I let the car set for 6 hours (for the tires to cool) take the pressure on each tire 2 times and get 2 different readings on each tire.

So I go out and buy a heavy duty commercial tire gauge and now I get the same readings each time. Feeling confident I inflated my tires to 42/40. Will see if any difference in MPG.

I have learned 2 things, First I will never be sure what the original PSI in my tires were. Second, don’t trust any cheap tire gauges.

2. westex39

westex39 New Member

Which goes to prove, you get what you pay for.
    I'll be looking for a new premium gauge now.
    What brand of gauge and model number did you purchase?

Regards.

3. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I bought this $2 guage going against one of my normal practices (you get what you pay for like someone said above). For a few months it gave me the same reading of 40psi, without further inflation. I knew that cannot be true, but didn't really do anything about it. Few weeks ago, the little rubber valve fell down, and the guage is no use anymore.

If someone can tell me which guage to get (and from where), that's be awesome.

4. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Aug 11 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]493946[/snapback]</div>
    I did some checking on line and found good reviews for the Moroso 89560 tIRE pRESSURE Gague.
    Purchased it on Amazon for 35.95.
    Went out this am and checked all 4 tires and have 42 front and 40 rear.
    Hope This Helps

5. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not a mechanic and happy to be corrected on this.

A while back I realized my tire guages were not accurate and went looking for a better one. I did a bit of online research and found a lot of people suggesting the type that looks a bit like a stopwatch but with a wrapped hose coming off the side and a reset switch which returns the device to 0.

It seems to work well but since I don't have a reference that I really trust 100%, I still don't know if it's correct.

It's a hell of a lot sturdier than the others, though, and in the grand scheme of things wasn't that expensive (I think $50).

6. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Aug 11 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]493946[/snapback]</div>
    The digital guages can show different pressures if the unit is at different temperatures. If it is hot from the sun on it it will give different readings than if you just brought it out of the Air conditioned house. The pressure transducers in these units is extremely cheap.
    I highly recommend you purchase an analog dial with a minimum of 2 PSI increments on the round face. You can find ones with 1 PSI increments. An analog guage has a needle for indication. Get one that has a good piece of rubber protecting the dial portion of the guage. I purchsaed one from PEP Boys that reads out in 2 PSI increments and has the little button that helps you release pressure while you are measuring pressure instead of manipulating the needle valve in the tire with a foreign object to release pressure. The max pressure is 160 PSI for the one I have and I paid $15. You can also look at any of the local automotive stores like: Advance, O'Rieleys, Napa, Auto Zone. I found a better selection at Pep Boys. One other option is to find a truck stop.....but you will pay more at the truck stop than any of the above listed stores. I actually tested all of the different types of tire pressure guages while cool and while heated on a Ruska pressure calibrator at my work. The most accurate under all circumstances was the analog needle style with round guage. I am a Service technician at a Bridgestone/Firestone OEM tire manufacturing facility in South Carolina. Hope all of this makes sense and helps you get an accurate guage. If you pay for a cheap tire pressure checking device then you will get a cheap device. Make a small investment. I keep mine in the driver's side door panel so it is always in the car.

1 person likes this.
  7. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NYPrius1 @ Aug 11 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]493947[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.amazon.com/Moroso-89560-Tire-Pr...9639&sr=8-1
    here is the link for the Moroso 89560 tIRE pRESSURE Gague.
    Hope This Helps

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 11 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]493949[/snapback]</div>
    Hi D Rock,

Thanks for your great informative post!

Do you know the name and model number of the $15 gauge you got from Pep Boys? Sounds like it could be a cheaper but worthy alternative to the $35 ($42 with added rubber protective ring) Moroso 89560 tire gauge.

9. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 11 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]493959[/snapback]</div>
    Pep boys tire pressure guage is
    ACCU GAGE
    model is TG75
    Mine is TG160 (they may not have this one)
    The stem on this guage is 8-12 inches long and the pressure should be in 1PSI increments
    75 means it goes to 75 PSI max.
    You can get higher but you will go to 2 PSI increments.
    You may be able to get a similar one with a smaller handle/stem.
    I prefer the larger one:) as I do not have to bend over so far to read it.
    $15 ....no shipping but you get a chance to practice Pulse and Glide on the way to the auto store.
    Do not fret if they do not have it...look for one with similar characteristics especially 1 PSI increments.
    Do not buy one with 5 PSI increments.......these are the worst accuracy.

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D Rock @ Aug 11 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]494019[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks D Rock. Much appreciate the info and your help.

8-12-07 EDIT/SUPPLEMENT: I've been doing some more research:

Accu-Gage makes numerous variations of the dial tire gauge referred to by D Rock -- different PSI ranges, straight or swivel chuck, with or without an extended metal and/or hose stem, with or without a bleed button, etc. Getagauge.com sells a large variety of these Accu-Gage gauges at good, all-in, delivered prices (a few dollars less than Amazon.com and other internet sellers), and the site is also fairly informative. I ended up ordering the 60 psi, swivel chuck, bleed button, non-extended stem gauge, with an added rubber protective ring, for a total delivered price of a little under $20.

Note - The $42 Moroso 89560 tire gauge recommended by NYPrius1 sounds like a terrific tire gauge --- it sounds like it may be the best tire gauge out there other than the $150 - $300 + gauges used by racing teams and other professionals --- so I'm not denigrating it at all. But it also sounds like the Accu-Gage dial tire gauges may be, for my intended purposes, just as good, for around $20 (making it the equivalent of a "best buy" in Consumer Reports jargon).

11. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Aug 11 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]494133[/snapback]</div>
    This Gauge Sounds Good>>>>
    I just wanted everyone to be aware that a Gauge Costing less than say 15.00 will give false readings.
    Since Prius Owners Like To use different PSI settings, A GOOD GAUGE IS A MUST!!!

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NYPrius1 @ Aug 13 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]494754[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! And thank you very much for raising the issue and finding the Moroso tire gauge --- from what I've read about it, it sounds like it may be the gold standard of consumer tire gauges. I've even added it to my Christmas wish list. :)

13. WK0G

WK0G New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to locate a gauge.

I saw a reference to a tire gauge with two hoses that allows filling two tire at once to the same pressure. Now i can not locate it. Does anyone who sells these? Thanks.