1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting findings with check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Bennett, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, I have a 2009 IV, and it has about 60,000 miles on it. It's still has it's Toyota Certified warranty.

The check engine light has been going on and off for about 3 months. I hooked up my scan tool, and it says there were a bunch of codes popping up for the evap system. I did the obvious repair and replaced the gas cap (with a Toyota cap), and that worked for a few weeks, but the light came on again.

Since it's under warranty, I took it to the dealer and it turns out the vaccum switch (or maybe pump) for the charcoal canister was bad.

Struck me as a rather strange thing to go bad on a relatively newer Prius.

Anyway, had the water pump recall done while it was there, and hopefully all is good now.

Luckily the trip only cost me the stupid $50 deductible for the warranty. That's a real racket, BTW.

With the warmer weather this summer, I've been getting over 50mpg out of this car, which is much better than it did this winter. Very, very pleased so far.

I've always driven Volvos, and now my wife and I have this car and a 2012 v. Really happy with the change, and since we live in the city and are in traffic constantly, These cars were just no-brainers.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just curious what the codes were that were set. Which valve was replaced? There are several that are used for leak detection. It is a very complex system, but as far as reports on PC go, it rarely fails.