1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Info I've Learned Regarding Prius Rear Alignment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by josh2008, Dec 5, 2008.

1. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I've been talking to a local toyota shop foreman in lives in my town who is registered to this bored. (wvtoyotatech) I shared with him that I was going to have the alignment checked Friday (today) and told him that I would probably end up having to shim the rear and he gave me a very interesting reply that I wanted to share with anyone. I've never heard of this before, but in no way shape or form am I doubting this guys knowledge I just wanted to pass this info along. Hopefully we'll get some other opinion/info on this as well.

Here was his reply:

"One thing to remember about the rear of these cars(and is widely neglected on this site) is the rear uses a torsion beam setup with toe correcting bushings. Pretty much, the rear end "shifts" when the vehicle corners, so the toe constantly changes on the rear as you drive. One reason everyone's rear alignment seems off when they have it checked is the shop is failing to "center" the rear beam before checking the alignment. If there is any type of turn made to get on the alignment rack it causes the beam to move. If it is not centered then the specs may be off. After lining up to get on the rack, we always make several stops going forward and backing up to get the beam as centered as possible. Dragging the rear tires slightly by using the parking brake works well also. The big problem with shimming the rear on these cars and other Toyotas with the same rear suspension setup, is that it may bring the reading within spec while it's on the rack but most likely as the car is driven those shims will actually cause the rear specs to be out as the beam move back to center."

Unfortunately I set up my appointment at a different dealer then where wvtoyotatech works or otherwise I would be taking it to them. I will post my results as soon as I can.

Now, let's get some technical talk going. :D

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cancel the appointment and go to the other guys.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you are suggesting that the alignment check has to be performed correctly to get meaningful results, then I agree with you.

However, in the scenario described above (the axle isn't "centered") the amount of error in the toe-in setting should be the same (or practically the same) on both sides vs. being out of whack on one side and within spec on the other (as was the case with my car and seems to be frequently reported).

If in doubt whether the shim is necessary, you should recheck the alignment after installing to verify it corrected the issue.

Also, keep in mind that the results can be influenced by the person performing the alignment, so you need a technician that is both competent and trustworthy. (My dealership was deficient on both counts)

4. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dogfriend I was suggesting that everyone just needs to be aware that in order to get proper alignment result the car needs to be set up properly. We'll see how my current appointment goes as i'm supposed to go at 3pm. Thanks everyone for your replys. Oh dogfriend, btw my dealer hasn't been so smart yet so we'll see.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I have worked from the total toe, not just one side. Also, I had my alignment checked after each shim (Firestone lifetime alignment.) So I'm pretty sure I'm right on the numbers I want ... I get them read out.

Bob Wilson

6. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

The work, etc that you have done is very credible and get me intrigued in this in the first place. Do all firestone dealers offer this lifetime alignment? Any restrictions after you pay a certain initial price? I'm at the dealer right now, they seemed real thrilled about checking alignment on a fairly new car.

Thanks for all the replies.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the point being: a job isn't worth doing if it isn't done the right way.

8. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they certainly didn't do a good job. They deflated the tires to 32psi (car felt like a boat), they got grease on the arm rest, according to the sgII they drove 3.2 miles and aparently went WOT as the sgII recorded a max rpm of 4963 and I certainly don't drive my car that way, car came back with 35mpg less then when I got out of it, the print out they gave me had dashed lines for the values for the rear(rear values were my main concern) even after I specified I wanted the alignment of all 4 wheels checked with nothing adjusted, they said they found they front toe to be out of spec so they did me a "favor" and adjusted it and now the steering wheel is off center. The best part, they took two hours to do this even tho I was the only in the shop. It appears that after pumping the tires back up to my usual 54/52 that the fuel economy is doing just fine. Pulled 68.Xmpg in 15°F weather over 3X miles. Well now I just need to find a place to check the rear.

Thanks for everyones replys.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

They did when I asked for it three years ago. Since then, it has been honored at the two Firestone shops I've taken my Prius to.

Firestone like many tire service chains is a franchise operation. This means each shop is unique based upon the opinions and attitude of the owners and supervisors. One shop not only let the air out of my tires, they took my pressure sensor caps off and kept them until I complained. The 'supervisor' called them 'batteries.' <grumble, grumble, grumble>

I'm lucky to have a local shop and I've taken time so they know me by face if not vehicle. I also try to bring the car in early when they are less likely to be saturated with customers. I take time to 'talk prius car stuff' as the personal touch helps.

Most of these franchises also look for pickup work such as replacing belts, wipers and other stuff. They are working at razor thin margins so I have no problem with paying them to rotate the tires but oil changes are still mine.

Bob Wilson

10. josh2008

josh2008 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,

Thank you for replying to my questions. We have a local firestone shop here so I think I will give them a call and see if they offer that here.

Take care,
    Josh