1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting little battery-wasting "trap"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Scott_R, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I went out to my car this evening to run a route through the Nav system (I wanted to enter it the night before to avoid any last minute gotchas).

I entered the car from the passenger side--simply because that side is closer to the front door and obviously I wasn't going anywhere.

Put the car in Aux mode (or whatever it's called: pressed Power without touching the brake). Did the thing with the Nav system, then pressed the Power button twice to turn things off (pressing it once more turned more systems on, pressing it again turned them off).

But: the lights had gone on--of course, they go on when power is turned on (the press after I'd finished with the Nav system), and they normally then turn off when the door's opened. The driver's door. Exiting and locking the vehicle from the passenger side leaves the lights on. Hmm. I had to go around to the driver's door and open/close it before they turned off.

Had it been daylight, or just the parking lights, I might not have noticed and the lights would have been left on. I tried same with the parking lights, and they stayed on for several minutes before I turned them off (no auto-shutoff absent the driver's door opening).

2. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting. I know I've turned my car on a couple of times like that, using the drivers side since it's closer to my front door.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For grins, try the same thing, and come back 16 minutes later. I'll bet you the lights are off. If not... you need to get yourself some LEDs!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.

Yeah, I don't like the Prius' auto-off feature.

5. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    I had the same thing happen while showing off my car to a neighbor. I opened the passenger door and showed off all the cool Prius features. I went back into the garage a little later and noticed that my lights were still on. Note to self - always enter through the driver's door.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This *feature* is quite annoying, but it seems to only happen in certain situations. If the headlights are in AUTO mode and you cycle the power, then the lights will stay on. Also, I guess, since I have DRLs, the lights come on when the parking brake is not engaged. When the headlights come on in the AUTO mode situation, I can turn off the headlights by turning them off on the switch. However, the parking brake scenario, the only way to turn off the headlights is to open the driver's door. I have a Canadian Prius which has auto headlights and DRLs (which seems pretty redundant).

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 19 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]322050[/snapback]</div>
    Headlights Darrell, headlights... As great as your leds are, I seriously doubt that they are a good substitution for HID headlights.

8. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Sep 20 2006, 01:32 AM) [snapback]322128[/snapback]</div>
    I'm a relatively lucky new owner and not sure what you mean by AUTO mode. I know that if you leave the lights ON when you stop and leave the car they will go out - and then come back on when you restart later on. Is this what you meant? or am I missing something?

9. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Sep 20 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]322474[/snapback]</div>
    US Priuses don't have the Auto mode available. That is a mode that detects the current light level and automatically turns the headlamps on when it is dark.

And your statement is mostly true. If you leave the lights on, when you stop the car and open the drivers side door the lights go off. Opening the passenger door does not turn off the lights.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Sep 19 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]322128[/snapback]</div>
    I usually do a quick flick from AUTO to headlight back to AUTO if I'm staying in the car. It is annoying. I prefer the Camry's AUTO feature where it shuts off after 30 seconds.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Sep 20 2006, 05:36 AM) [snapback]322166[/snapback]</div>
    The new LS600h L will have LED headlights

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I like the feature. Sometimes if I'm parked in a well-lighted parking lot at night I'll forget to turn the lights on because it is light enough to see well without them. This feature lets me leave the light switch in the ON position when I leave the car, so the lights will come on by themselves when I get back in.

But I never leave the car by the passenger door. I'm not limber enough for that. And I turn the lights off when I park in my garage.

12. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius biker @ Sep 20 2006, 02:24 PM) [snapback]322474[/snapback]</div>
    I think toyota must've mixed up something. AUTO would make perfect sense for Prius going to the states. In Canada, the DRLs pretty much make the AUTO headlights useless :p

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Sep 21 2006, 01:32 PM) [snapback]322954[/snapback]</div>
    Certainly seems that way, doesn't it? ;)

Actually, AUTO and DRL are not quite the same, since the former is 100% brightness and lights the tail lamps and dims the cluster/MFD while the latter is slightly lower headlight intensity (not sure of %) with no taillights and full-brightness cluster.

But otherwise, I don't know why the US did not get this option... Could it have anything to do with a conflict with HID technology? :huh: That's an option Canada does not get...

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Nov 7 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]345058[/snapback]</div>
    It's a good possibility since HIDs don't like being turned on and off several times in a row within a short period of time. However, a lot of people will note that luxury cars have both AUTO and HIDs. So either Toyota thinks the expense isn't worth it (i.e. owners having to replace the capsules earlier) or they think we're not as smart as the wealthy and won't take notice of the downside of HIDs and "sue" Toyota for super short HID capsule life.