1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

interesting observation using CANVIEW

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frank Hudon, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

had the rpm and fuel flow on the MFD and was driving at a steady 103Km per hour roughly 60 MPH and the ICE was running at 1720RPM and the fuel flow was .2L per hour. The road was flat and then slowly raised about 100 feet in a half mile and what I saw was the RPM stayed at 1720RPM but the fuel flow slowly climbed up to .4L per hour. Question is, is the computer telling the ICE to maintain the same RPM and telling the Atkinson Cycle to feed a bit more power so it retards the cam and injects a bit more fuel into the ICE? All the while maintaining the same RPM. I guess I should have switched screens and looked at the kW output, I'm not driving out there just to redo the test. Ok thinkers lets hear your theories.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sounds like the car was doing what you wanted...

3. Frank Hudon

not really it should have slow raised the rpm and maintained the fuel flow at .2 liter per hour. That would have preserved the mileage. Having the ICE rpm climb it would have spun MG1 higher to provide more output to power MG2. Or did the computer sense that MG1 was needed to provide a bit more power output so rather then spin faster just added more load which the computer took care of with a bit more power out of the ICE?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Were you in Cruise Control? I thought the goal was to maintain 103 Kph. The car did that. Your goal may have been to maintain fixed fuel consumption, but how would the car know?

5. Frank Hudon

to get the best mileage the computer should have just raised the rpm and as such the PSD would have maintained the mph and the fuel consumption would have stayed the same or raised slightly for the extra rpm.. Not the best use of fuel when a simple increase in rpm at the same load would have used less fuel.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Frank itis pioneers like you and your CANview that make this forum's reverse-engineers able to enlighten the rest of us non-engineers! Thanks. Too bad a Toyota engineer won't/can't enlighten us.

7. Frank Hudon

please be advised that I'm only a beta tester for the developer. I do use a MiniScanner on my Classic but the CANview is installed on my wifes G2 Prius. I will drive it as much as possible and feed data and comments to the developer, a PriusChat member, eflier, who is doing the grunt work on it. I've seen the unit with video being displayed on the MFD and that's kind of interesting but not my real interest which is data like rpm, ICE temp, HV battery voltage and useage, fuel flow in live time,etc. I'm glad to be of help in the testing and feed back to the real person who you should thank.

8. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    CANview? Help Me

I'm a new member; what's the CANview and what does it do? I feel naked driving without a tach and the fuel flow meter sounds great; how do we get one?

9. Frank Hudon

it's an add-on module that allows the data on the CAN to be decoded and displayed on the MFD. It's currently not available for sale as the developer is still working on it. Before the crash on PC there were lots of posts and threads on it. If Danny gets them back you'll be able to see what was going on regarding it's development. Some like me just want basic data others want video inputs others want input for I-pods etc. These other requests are being worked on. The basic data feed is working as of now but the video is still under developement. More infomation will be coming shortly from the developer.

10. altaskier

altaskier New Member

It takes more power to climb a hill than to drive on the flats so it is inevitable that the fuel flow would have to go up (unless the extra power needed was drawn from the battery). The car's computer already has a few options for delivering the power required by balancing ICE and MG power input; it's interesting if it can also juggle the power of the ICE at fixed RPM.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

i would think that more fuel would be necessary for additional power to maintain RPMs while gaining altitude. would it also be possible that more power is sent to the EV also? that would increase fuel consumption also.

12. Frank Hudon

this was not much of a hill I would estimate 100 foot rise in a quarter mile which is barely visible, but shown as a rise in fuel flow. Yes interesting that it'll hold rpm and increase the power output. I can only assume that is the Atkinson Cycle in operation.

13. SteveT

SteveT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It is entirely possible that it required twice as much power to go up a small incline than it takes to cruise on the level, so the increase from 0.2 to 0.4 l/hr is resonable. Cruising on level ground requires very little power. Accelleration and/or climbing hills requires much more power.

I can't explain why the engine RPM did not change. Perhaps the engineers at Toyota who calibrate the hybrid system can, perhaps they can't. As I understand it, the system tries to run the ICE near wide open throttle, but not necessarily at WOT. It may be that it was running at 80% and was able to meet the torque requirements by opening the throttle a little, changing spark and/or valve timing.

I have been involved in the calibration of standard ICE, the hybrid system is twice as complicated. Usually the control system is broken up into several subsystems, each of which is calibrated somewhat independantly, then there is an arbitration algorithm when there is a conflict. Then you run everything through a whole lot of testing to make sure none of the control loops fight each other and cause problems. There are a lot of adjustments and tweaks to the system over many months to get everything working. It is rarely as simple as "I did A so the car should do B."

There are several inputs to the hybrid system (pedal position, vehicle speed, battery state of charge, temperature etc.) there are also several outputs that the system controls (motor/generator torque, engine speed, engine throttle position). Add in such things as regulatory requirements (emmission, OBD), driveability requirements, efficiency demands, diagnostics and liability concerns and it gets very complicated.

Keep testing and keep us informed. I am interested in something like the CANView.

Best regards,
    Steve Turner

14. Frank Hudon

I'm going to try and replicate it with my Classic and see if the airflow increases as well as the fuel flow. She'll be using her car for the rest of the week so I'm basically sol as far as gathering data. But the MiniScanner in my Classic will be able to show me if both move or just the fuel flow. I suspect that both will climb. Only thing is I won't be using this particular road as it's 80 miles from here. But I have flat section that has a rise but smaller, in the middle section, but it'll probably take a few days to get the traffic flow where I can test it. Now if the air flow doesn't increase I can only suspect that the computer is altering the cam timing to take advantage of the Atkinson cycle's higher compresson to bump up the power output.

15. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe, the simple answer is no. In the same situation in a conventional car, the added load on the engine from the slight incline would be overcome by added fuel & air (throttle) and the rpm would not change (constant speed, direct gearing). The Prius seems to be doing exactly the same thing in your example.

However, your Prius effiency is higher than you would see on a 1.5L conventional car due to the Atinson cycle and lower rpm resulting in a more optimal higher power loading (even though, highway-cruise is not hsd's forte) From my Scanguage, it appears that hsd tries to keep the power between 45-65% of that available.

If you were to run the same experiment again with a slightly steeper incline, I would expect to see the resultant higher rpm (still less than typical 1.5L) as the hsd algorith increased it to keep the output power in the desired efficiency band.

16. Frank Hudon

you mean on the hill with the sign that say's 11% grade for 2 kms. This was just enough to be perceptable and the rpm didn't alter at all, only thing that moved was fuel flow. Probably not enough to get a conventional vehicle on cruise to add more than 50 rpm to hold speed.

17. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    MY conventional vehicle does not add rpm to hold speed; only power.

18. Frank Hudon

the ones I've had all pull down and add rpm to bring back up to set speed. Even my Tundra which probably had a cruise module simular to the Prius lost speed on grades till the engine pulled it back up.

19. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Frank, what is the duration of your test run? Your fuel consumption seems too low. At 0.2L/103 km is about 1211 MPG!

I think this can only happen during warp stealth and the car is mostly powered by the Bty to MG2. Without knowing the SOC at that moment, it is hard to tell if the increase is due to the Atkinson Cycle.

Vincent

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank,
    I have had similar experience using the Scan Gage. I was not sure what to make of it. I see this more at lower speeds (20-35mph) than at higher speeds (35-50). I have not had the Scan Gage out on the freeway yet. I have also have not seen the ICE RPM up with out gas usage being 0 gal/hr. My understanding is that I should see this during start up and shut off but so far have not observed this. This observation is clouded by the fact that I do have to keep my eye on the road and there are sampling rate issues on the CAN bus. Having this device has only made me want to learn more and have a better tools to learn how this car works.