1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting postcard from warranty plus

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boppo, May 5, 2009.

1. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got a postcard from warranty plus with a number to call for extended warranty. I just got my 2006 on March 13, so how did they know I owned a Prius. They wanted to give me a real deal for 900 bucks a year for 3 years or 60k. I LOL at the guy and said thanks but no thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They either kull driver/car registration info or your dealer sold your info. If you don't respond to the post cards they'll call you at home.

A big nasty scam and apparently nobody'll take action against them. Which makes me think they're paying the state gov't for the registration info and the gov't isn't about to bite the hand that's feeding them.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they send them out to almost everyone. As Evan said, it's a scam.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When they call I ask them which SPECIFIC car they are referring to. That usually ends it right there, CLICK!!!
    ALL GONE NOW!!!

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They asked me that, but after a bit of scrambling they came up with my Prius...so they have that specific info available.

But then they tried a line about "The Toyota Warranty" they have--making it sound like they are the official Toyota warranty. That's where I sort of led the guy on, let him dig the hole. I put a few sticks over it then let him fall through. Managed to tie the bastard up on the phone for almost 5 minutes. Then reported him to the no-call list in Missouri.

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine came in the form of a long series of phone calls in addition to mail. See this for more.

7. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The people behind those calls recently settled a lawsuit with Verzion. That helps me.. but I wonder if non-Verizon customers are still getting them.

8. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I get the calls and so does my wife. We're both on AT&T. Next time I'll have to string them along, it can be fun.

9. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

When they call? Aren't you on the 'do not call' list? Then you should ask why are they calling and it will cost them $500 when the feds fines them for this violation:D

Lately though, their recorded tape has no info who they are or anything to report them with.:eek:

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Given their unethical business practices, I don't expect them to suddenly develop a conscience when confronted with the "do not call" list.