1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting question. Which color Prius, black or white will yield a hair better apr?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bacardi151, Jun 25, 2007.

1. bacardi151

bacardi151 New Member

Does the Prius get better MPG in the summer or the winter? Black will absorb more heat, which IMO would make a SLIGHT (.05%?) difference. Every little bit counts, right? Opinions?

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bacardi151 @ Jun 25 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]467831[/snapback]</div>

maybe not as good as just parking and driving the car in the hot sun without a hood

3. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The interior of the car must be within reasonable temps, as the battery is cooled via a vent located in the backseat area.
    Black cars get much warmer inside from the sun than white ones.
    So... your black Prius will run the ICE more to run the A/C to cool the interior to keep the battery cool.
    White gets better MPG in summer. :D

4. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jun 25 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]467860[/snapback]</div>
    Red Prii can go faster!

5. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jun 25 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]467860[/snapback]</div>
    Red Prii can go faster!

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 25 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]467864[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but most red cars come with the first couple of speeding tickets already waiting for you :D

7. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

hot is hot.... and a white or silver prius is gonna get just as hot as a black prius.... what's MORE important is to get those windows tinted with heat reflecting tint!

we had a black mdx with tinted windows.... has the mag grey prius and about died from the heat until we got the windows tinted!

we also always use a sun screen in the windshield....

8. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 25 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]467863[/snapback]</div>
    The more you say it the more we believe it. Typical red car bully! :ph34r:

9. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Jun 25 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]467864[/snapback]</div>
    But Black Prii are more stealthy....

10. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

Red Prii coast faster, so they are able to charge the battery better downhill, plus everyopne knows that air flows over red paint faster, so less drag, plus with a red prii you will have a slimmer boy or girl friend or wife husband thanks to its sexyness.

11. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so. . . .

I'm thinking maybe best would be to replace the hood with something transparent (glass? plexi?). Better yet a fresnel lens with it's focal point in the center of the engine block.

Then paint the catalytic convertor, engine block, radiator, hoses, water pump, coolant storage, and the rest of the cooling system all mat-black, and paint the rest of the engine compartment with a heat reflective silver. Then heat reflective tint on all windows, and a heat reflective silver paint on all panels on the exterior of the passenger compartment.

To finish it off, an easily removable mounting system for solar panels that power either a small electric compressor/fanheat exchanger to pull heat out of the passenger compartment while the car is parked or an EBH, and can be stored in the cargo area when underway.

That ought to help with MPG, right?

Anything remaining can be painted your favorite color.

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Jun 27 2007, 12:23 PM) [snapback]468978[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking that a fresnel lens in conjunction with a solar array on the hood and roof would help stretch out the mileage better than any painting effort.

13. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Front in white, back in black.
    Like a Crookes radiometer.

Inside also Back in Black, cranked.

Back in black, I hit the sack,
    I've been too long, I'm glad to be back
    Yes I'm let loose from the noose,
    That's kept me hangin' about
    I been livin like a star 'cause it's gettin' me high,
    Forget the hearse, 'cause I never die
    I got nine lives, cat's eyes
    abusing every one of them and running wild

[Chorus]
    'Cause I'm back! Yes, I'm back!
    Well, I'm back! Yes, I'm back!
    Well, I'm baaack, baaack...
    Well, I'm back in black,
    Yes, I'm back in black!

Back in a band,i got Cadillac,
    Number one with a bullet, I'm a power pack
    Yes I'm in a band with a gang,
    they gotta catch me if they want me to hang
    'Cause I'm back on the track and I'm beatin' the flack,
    Nobody's gonna get me on another rap
    So look at me now, I'm just a makin' my pay,
    Don't try to push your luck, just get out of my way

14. aeronaut

aeronaut New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desertbriez @ Jun 25 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]468039[/snapback]</div>
    Not exactly. A black Prius will heat up more than a white Prius, which in turn will heat up more than a silver Prius.

However, for the interior temperature, tinted windows are more important than exterior paint color. The car is basically a small greenhouse, letting light and IR pass inside through the windows, turn to heat when it hits the stuff in the car, heat the interior, and be held in by the enclosure. A good window tint, that reflects all IR and some light, will make the interior of the car much cooler in sunlight. Of course, at night, it doesn't matter.

The external color will contribute to the temperature of the outside of the car, and thermal convection will conduct that heat to the body and interior of the car. This is how the black car gets hotter than the silver one.

In terms of the temperature under the hood, the pattern of engine use and airflow will influence that a lot more than the hood color. Blocking the vents in a silver Prius will produce hotter temps under the hood than leaving the vents open on a black Prius. And running the AC, laptop, and other devices off the power system of the car will keep the engine running longer, which will heat up things more under the hood.

Regards,