1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting Steering Comment from Accord Hybrid Review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I posted the link to the Accord Hybrid Review here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4540

But this quote struck a chord with me:

Slightly twitchy steering is a flaw that a sensitive driver might notice. It won't stay centered as you'd like and seems overboosted just off-center. Thus, the hybrid starts drifting one way, you turn the wheel the other, the car over-responds and you have to turn the wheel back. "I agree it feels a little weak on-center," says chief engineer Tetsurou Hamada.

Partly that's due to electric power steering, which feels different than normal power steering. Electric power steering, however, uses no engine power, so no fuel. A normal hydraulic power-steering pump is driven by the engine, creating drag and consuming fuel.

Sound Familiar?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Electric steering uses no power? Best hybrid yet??? 32 mpg at 70 mph?

Hey, Honda is a great company and the Accord is a superlative car. But I think "best hybrid yet" still belongs to the Prius.

3. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Okay, best hybrid under 55 mpg with leather seats, heavy transmission, no spare, and no electrochromatic mirror. :wink:

That leather really helps it blend in and look normal, but of course the lack of sunroof in a top-of-the-line car is the giveaway.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ....and no mention of stablity control in a 30k car??

5. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"41466)</div>
    Why are you only getting 32mpg at 70?
    :cry: I guess I'm luckey I get 50mps at 70 :mrgreen:

Ben

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    best hybrid yet??? at 32 mpg?? is this some sort of joke?

it should be readily apparent that a 5 passenger hybrid passenger car that doesnt get at least 45 mpg, shouldnt even be allowed to wear the name hybrid.

The Prius has set the bar for economy, passenger comfort, performance, engineering and forward thinking. it seems obvious to me that most other manufacturers have chosen to ignore those standards.

all i can say is i be willing to bet a months paycheck that the honda accord hybrid does not win Motortrend car of the year. in fact, i be willing to bet that they dont win half of the awards the Prius has.

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Heh, I bet when the Prius was released, there was bitching just like this on the Honda Insight boards.

"Omg a hybrid that doesn't get 80mpg????"

8. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This has been talked about past few weeks,
    either fuel milage or low emission(so does "Danny" wrote before).
    If looking for Fuel milage this is not that one, It just buying a Accord name and luxury item like Lexus Rx.
    If I buy Accord right now, I wont buy this one. I reather buy 4-cylinder 5-speed Accord for my self. it almost same gas milage and more easy to drive. (My Prius is the first automatic tranny car I ever owned).
    Also Accord and Civic hybrid isnt purpas build car, Honda wanted hybrid car so just added to current car, which not like a Prius.
    It come down to your objection regarding to hybrid, Fuel milage or low emmision. (I guess most Californian wont buy this hybrid since wont apply new HOV regulation like a Prius, insight, and Civic hybrid)

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Come on Dave! "Hybrid" means it combines two different types of power plants, which the hybrid Accord does. Of course they can call it a hybrid. It's just so far behind the "best hybrid yet" as to be laughable. And at 32 mpg at 70 mph, well, what's the point? (Except that it's got more power than its conventional counterpart.)

The Prius appeals to tree-huggers, gadget freaks, and people who don't want to buy more imported oil than they must. Who's the hybrid Accord going to appeal to? No gadgets, not green, and burns as much gas as the same car with a smaller (but still plenty powerful!) engine.

Honda builds great cars. I just don't see the market for this thing.

10. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Electric power steering and electric A/C do not get free energy. I'm not sure how much "better" is is than hydraulic or compressor power. Probably 20% more efficient but certainly not free.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually, I was pondering the fact that they thought the Accord Hybrid had 'vague' on center feel and 'wandered' requiring frequent steering corrections, which they blamed on the Electric Steering Rack.

I wasn't really hyperanalyzing the reporters knowledge of Hybrid Technology :) That's kind of a lost cause.

But, given that a significant number of Prius Owners feel that the steering feel is very different, and that it makes some people uncomfortable on the highways, I just thought it was curious that the same comment appeared in one of the first Accord reviews.

I think it will be interesting to see what other reviewers think.

Prius Reviewers don't really expect handling to be a strong point of the car, but Accords have always been tight handling cars. If the Hybrid Accord feels/handles significantly differently from the standard one, I suspect we'll be hearing more about it.

12. FredWB

FredWB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus\";p=\"41661)</div>
    When I first read the post I thought they were talking about the Prius, honest. OK, don't want to start another controversy here...I mean MY Prius. One owner here in San Diego had his dealer tell him that it was in fact the electronic PS that made the car not want to track very well. They said that Toyota told them that some owners "notice" it and others do not. He quicky realized that this was not going to be something to be fixed easily, if at all. So he sold his car with about 1600 miles on it and got about $26K.

How could you not notice something like this? For me it's extreme at times and no big deal at others. It just depends on the road, wind, trucks passing, etc.., even with my Hydroedge tires. I have read write-ups on our Prius mentioning an over boosted feeling to the steering. It seems, like us owners, some writers pick up on it and other don't. I didn't expect the car to handle like a sports car. But there really isn't anything about a high mpg, low emisson vehicle that should prevent it from having a nice tight suspension, limited roll, and a feeling of stability on the road. But I guess only the Europeans put any value on that according to the marketing experts. I wonder just how different the European version feels.

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fred,
    I know you have been dealing with this for a long time. Have you had the chance to drive someone else's Prius on the same roads you normally travel to compare? I rented one for a week and just picked mine up yesterday. I didn't notice the tendancy to dash off right or left on the highway in either car. Neither had much 'dead band' but they didn't act as you have described. If you found the problem in 2 cars (especially if the owner of the other doesn't) it is 'your sensitivity', otherwise there is something strange with your Prius. If this is the case, and they can't fix it, I would think the lemon law would be appropriate.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think what we're seeing is the teething pains of the conversion from Mechanical Systems with the feedback people expect to Systems with a much higher degree of Electronics and Computer Control.

Aircraft Manufacturers have fought the same battle with "By Wire" systems taking the place of hydraulics.

If you've ever been in a simulator (car or airplane), you see the same problem. Mimicing the expected feedback is tough.

Toyota faced this with more than just the Steering.

They've already said that the reason the Prius goes into mild regen mode when you lift off the gas is that people expect engine braking to start slowing the car in that situation, so they simulate it. They didn't have to, and the car probably would have been more efficient if it coasted with your foot off the gas. But, they felt that would be too much of a departure and feel to weird for people to accept, and could even be dangerous.

The Accelerator and Brake Pedal feedback are also not directly tied to mechanical systems, but are 'designed' to be comfortable, and reassuring to people. Not because it's the easiest thing to do.

Personally, I don't find the Prius Steering imprecise at all, in fact just the opposite. It's extremely precise, much more so than any other car I've driven. You point it and hold the wheel steady and it goes where you point.

However, it does have a very small 'dead zone' or to put it another way, it's not very solid 'on-center'. If you twitch the wheel, the car responds to a smaller turn than most other cars. Just the opposite of old school luxo-barges where there was a huge on-center band.

Couple that with a lack of mechanical feedback telling you when you're initiating a turn, and you wind up over-correcting easily, leading to a feeling that you're wandering back and forth, and never really able to stop correcting.

I don't have a problem with it, because once I figured out what it was doing, I stopped expecting it to feel 'normal' and started treating it more like a joystick in a game or simulator. It's a different mindset and a different set of muscle memories, but if you've ever spent a lot of time playing Flight or Driving Simulator games, it feels a lot like that to me.

I'm not sure they'll ever be able to completely mimic a purely mechanical system.

What's interesting to me is that this means that Auto Manufacturers are going to have a lot more flexibility in designing the feedback systems, and I believe we'll see a divergence over time.

Cars will really begin to 'feel different', and the feel of the car will affect what cars people choose.

It just struck me that the Accord is evidently showing exactly the same symptoms and effect on drivers as the Prius, which reinforces my belief that the issue is not suspension design, but a result of the change to an electronic rack.

Maybe in the end, there will be multiple feedback program options available, and if you don't like the way your car works, you can download a whole range of computer config files, and tune it to suit you.

You could even have different profiles for different drivers, just like some cars now will remember your seat, mirror and steering wheel settings.

Or, you could have a 'town' profile, a 'highway' profile and a 'twisty' profile.

(Edit: And yes, I know some manufacturers are doing this already with suspension setting options and variable computer controlled suspensions, but that's just the tip of the iceberg)

It's going to be interesting.

15. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I did drive a friends car and he drove mine. He thought mine made some unexpected moves and was twitchy. I thought his steered lightly and acurately like mine but didn't seem to go off on its own and was not twitchy.

I've intentionally gripped the wheel very, very lightly on mine and just let the car do it's own thing. In no time the car will go right or left without any steering input from me. It's much worse with some of the very deep grooved freeways we have here or if the expansion joint is right under the left tire like when they've resized the lanes to add another one. If I'm on top of the expansion joint and I have cars on either side, it can be almost dangerous at times. On smooth asphault it's not all that bad....still not much centering or tracking but managable. The rocking motion when it's doing this is pronounced too and the soft suspension doesn't help here. It's like a correction to the right causes the left frt to drop too much. My new dealer has offered to look at it when I do the fuel tank TSB but I don't hold out much hope. It's been aligned many times now and is pretty much perfect. Unless there's some PS adjustment, a bad strut, etc....what can I do. Proving that it's a lemon is tough when they tell me it's normal for a Pruis.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think it took about 3 days for me to get used to the electronic steering controls and that "go cart control" feeling, but now, if i drive a normal car, im almost appalled at the seeming lack of control when i never really paid no mind to it before.

to be honest with ya, i like the fact that i no longer have to do the "wave" type of driving that requires me to move the wheel within the confines of the "sweet" spot.

on long trips i admit to getting a bit bored and i will frequently hold the wheel with one hand rest my forearm on my knee or something since the car can be held arrow straight on the road without any hand movement since there is no discernible slop between the steering wheel and the tracking of the car.

17. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I envy you Dave. When my car is doing it thing you better not be even adjusting the radio or you might drift into the car next to you.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol... that is how my truck works!!

i need to me moving the wheel back and forth in an arc of about 2-4 inches constantly...

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine is fine in town and when there's no wind on the highway. On the highway, if there's wind, I'm always working to keep going straight. Since I've had my car for 7 months, it seems unlikely that it's just a question of getting used to the different mechanism.

There are systems that are inherently stable, and systems that are inherently unstable. Unstable systems tend to be more manuverable. Stable systems are less manuverable. Clearly, you need to compromise, based on your usage. A touring bike is stable, to be more relaxing on those long stretches; a racing bike is nimble, for darting around in the pack so you can avoid crashing into the bike next to you, but requires constant attention and is exhausting.

So it's partly a question of how the car is designed, and the compromises the designers make. But my old Civic was both more nimble and more stable than the Prius, so I think Toyota could make some improvements here.

Also, since the Civic had no air bags, I could rest my hands on the extremely wide spokes of the steering wheel, to change my hand position from the wheel itself, and this made long-distance driving more relaxing. A long trip in the Prius is more tiring for me. (Though it might also be the decade that elapsed between my last long road trip in the Civic, and my first in the Prius. -- I was out of the country for a while.)

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    in high wind areas, i notice no extra effort to manuver the Prius. in some cases, the Prius seems much less affected by the wind. i attributed this to the wind not being as bad as other days although the place i am talking about (The Tacoma Narrows Bridge) ALWAYS has wind problems and there is a warning sign (one ive see off about 10% of the time) that notifys you of the ever present dangerous wind conditions.

also as anyone in Western Wa will attest, the freeways here are a journey from one valley to the next and nearly every one is subject to winds. mix in several peaks of Puget Sound where winds are like any offshore area on the Eastern Pacific shore. The Olympics to the West and the Cascades to the right creates a wind funnel making certain areas here very windy while other areas wont support kite flying.

the low CoD will help to reduce the wind effects, but the Prius for its overall weight, does sit a bit higher than other smaller cars which does affect wind shear (wind from the side...which btw is what is present on the bridge.)

i will have a better idea when winter comes and the winds get much worse. but as many trips as i have taken over the Narrows, the I-90 floating bridge, 4 trips over the Hood Canal floating bridge; all done with no noticeable difference in handling, i would have to say that my car is comparable to any other.