1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interesting video on how an unsuspecting buyer got taken on a used Gen 2 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    tl;dw

PriusCamper likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed, why not just post a sentence or two or a time stamp so we can get the point without wasting time!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did they come here after the purchase?:oops:

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Not sure I understand how he got taken. I didn't realize that he had just bought the car I thought he just drove it into the shop with the red triangle on and all the nonsense. But yeah when these kind of folks do videos there long drawn out nothing that they don't speak English well and all that sort of thing so it's like pulling teeth to get it out

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Funny that he states the P0A80 is Hybrid Battery Over-temperature.....I stopped watching after that...

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Petr's first language is obviously not English. He is an immigrant who has made good. He is not perfecl as those who apparently judge him. The ability of an individual is listen carefully to one who speaks in a vernacular of English that does not narrowly follow his or her own does not mean that his knowledge is neither worthless or not intelligent. It is more a reflection of the listener's lack of capability to communicate.

8. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Congratulations to the man who has NEVER made a mistake.

Better yet, never admit to making one.

9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You must have mistaken me for someone else. I make plenty of mistakes and own up to them. If you just spitting stuff out because you have nothing better to say, than so be it.

For a video that's trying to show that a purchaser got suckered into buying a car, I would like to think the person making the video would be knowledgeable about 'said car'. With that being said, anyone 'knowledgeable' enough about a Gen 2 Prius to be making videos should EASILY know what a P0A80 code is. I only have so much time in my life, and to get something that basic incorrect in the first few minutes of an 18 minute video, well, it tells me to move on to something else.

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "More and more I see on this Prius, more and more I am afraid that this owner got scammed"

Think about a used car buyer who takes out an $8,000 loan to buy a high mile hybrid. He has heard about Toyota reliability and their ability to go 300,000 to 400,000 miles. Certainly he heard that from the flipper who revived the Prius. Maybe the buyer had a 2002 Camry that did go 275k without oil burning, head gasket or tranny failures. No need for an inspection.

Petr's videos are accessible by the average used car buyer and are 95% more likely to warn a buyer than Priuschat. Here you are likely to get fanboy responses when someone asks if they should buy a 2008 with 176,000 miles. Petr's video would make them consider a pre-purchase mechanic's inspection.

As is, the buyer here has an overpriced oil burner that needs a rebuild. He will need a battery soon. At least he did not buy a 2010.

#10 rjparker, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not much happens till partway through 2014, with piston ring revision; why focus on 2010? In 2012 Somewhere along the line I think the EGR valve and intake manifold was tweaked as well, but...

Ok, maybe you meant to say 3rd gen?

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After all isn't the nature of being a good auto mechanic simply making way less mistakes than you used to when you were younger?

What I've noticed over several decades is people are so uninformed about how their car works that if a mechanic screws up and they aren't wanting to fess up to it, they're almost never in a position where they have to admit their wrong doing. And we've all seen on PriusChat many times mechanics will make up the most ridiculous reasons to explain away their own incompetence, especially among Toyota Stealerships who double team you with both incompetence and price gouging at the same time.

13. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    There was this one time….at band camp….