1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Interference of Sirius player when accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by irvineprius, Apr 12, 2008.

1. irvineprius

irvineprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have installed a Sirius plug and play unit in my 2007 Prius III. I plug directly into the AUX input under the center armrest, so there is not the issue of static associated with tuning the Sirius receive through the car tuner. But, I have noticed a "buzz" that seems to correspond to when I accelerate, or more precisely, when the electric motor is running. When I coast or brake, the buzz goes away. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it coming from a magnetic field interference from the electric motor running, or is it coming through the AC/DC power adaptor plugged into the car's power outlet? Could this voltage source be varying when I accelerate, and is there a filter out there that could be used in-line with my power cord? I don't hear the buzz when I plug in my MP3 player using the same cord and outlet, so I don't think it is a grounding issue with the cord.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Both. The interference is being generated by the motor and inverter electronics, but it is coming through the power adapter. Put a filter or ground isolator in series with your power adapter and the interference should go away.

Tom

3. irvineprius

irvineprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks very much. I'll see what I can find. Do you have any types and/or sources you can recommend?

Thanks Again,

Rob

4. irvineprius

irvineprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I installed a ground loop isolator yesterday (Radioshack, $16.) It fixed it! Thanks again for the advice!

Rob